Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IPSound Filter Settings  (Read 5170 times)
K6LO

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

I have one of my HF remotes running successfully with IPSound, and I would like to know what other IP Sound users are using for filter settings.  Currently I am using the default 8k GSM.  Vast improvement over Skype - especially for CW.
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »

I played with this for awhile, and was not able to arrive at a useful filter.  However, with my radio, I don't really need it.

The setup info for "Q" and "scale factor" are confusing.  Q is apparently inverted from the usual definition.  And then an arbitrary scale factor is applied.  The "scale factor" box seems to act as more of a gain control.  Also, if the filter is a cascade of simple Q sections, it will not produce the flat-top kind of filters we want anyway.

But my real problem with ipsound is that I am getting clicks and pops which are really annoying.  This happens only with CW signals; voice sounds fine.  It is more prominent with strong signsls.  My sound card is not clipping; adjusting the input level does not help.  Buffer tune does not help.  The G711 codec is worse; pcm and gsm sound better.  Does your system have this problem?

Bob
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:54:16 AM »

Thanks for the info Bob.  I find the filter settings equally mysterious.  The filter behaves like a glorified tone control.

I have not noticed any CW pips or pops.  Right now I am taking audio from my TS-940S fixed audio output directly to my sound card line input.

I have one remote at home running IpSound and the other, an FT-450 at my office location, using Skype.  The difference in audio quality is dramatic. Skype is mediocre for CW.  I will switch the office remote off Skype once a few friends who use that remote get IpSound installed on their end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: