Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echolink and Wireless Linksys Routers  (Read 1963 times)
KC0NTH

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2003, 01:20:46 PM »

I have a Linksys wireless router and I have set 5198 and 5199 to UDP and 5200 to TCP and I still only get timeouts. I have completely disabled my firewall and cannot figure out how to get Echolink to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
KC0NTH
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 07:12:22 PM »

Jim,
Join and post the question on: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/echolink/
KB3IQD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 06:45:34 PM »

So these 3 ports are set up to be forwarded to the IP Address of the PC that you are operating Echolink from and echolink is not working is this what you are indicating?
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 09:38:22 AM »

Make sure that is open the right direction (or both ways). Some devices has different incoming and outgoing settings.

Mine works fine just opening up 5198 and 5199 and that is it.

-Jim

N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 05:58:39 PM »

Can ANYONE please tell me why people who use this echo link have to be on linked repeater system? It really can tie up a busy repeater system. What is more I really dislike the disrespect and what I percieve to be INTENTIONAL interference of some Amateur turning on an echo-link node in the middle of me talking with another Amateur. I dislike having to put up with "ABC connected......ABC disconnected". This is rude and not necessary.
K1RFD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 02:34:20 PM »

Jim,

Just as a point of information, EchoLink does not require port 5200 to be forwarded to your PC, only UDP ports 5198 and 5199.

TCP 5200 is a destination port for outbound connections only.  This rarely needs to be specially configured in the router.

KD7KHG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 03:07:44 PM »

I think I can Tell Ya, The repeater owner has authorized the use of echolink on his machine, so its ok with him or her. People connecting have no way of knowing your in the middle of a QSO. Although in the software, the anouncement of a connected user can be defered till the frequency is clear if configured properly. The other question on port forwarding, You can also run your router with the computer running echolink in the DMZ, but this places that computer in front of the router not behind, No firewall. Probably not good, but I have had no problems using it this way in the past. If your running behind the router, or behind a firewall using port forwarding for echolink, some routers shut the port down if its not being used over time. Other routers keep it open no matter what, my netgear wireless router seems to keep it open. Anyway, not really rocket science here, hope this helps.
KD7KHG
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 12:01:13 PM »

To N2WEC,

The same way you interupted this thread on how to open UDP ports for echolink.. The owners, repeater elders and users happen to enjoy echolink.. The biggest problem with echolink (and I will agree with you on this) is the id'ing, that should be the amateurs job, I like to use echolink to listen to the machine but I will often opt to turn the radio on as I dont want to disrupt the qso..

Anyway, getting back to the thread, if you go into the Linksys router, you should be able to enter those UDP ports and get it working, you may have to soft reset it to get them active, my Netgear router was a breeze to set up and echolink has a help guide to show you how it is done on your particular router... Regards.. Richy N2ZD

He (N2WEC) spewed...
Can ANYONE please tell me why people who use this echo link have to be on linked repeater system? It really can tie up a busy repeater system. What is more I really dislike the disrespect blah blah...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: