Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with 5 WPM upgrade!  (Read 433 times)
KG4NLC

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:48:02 AM »

Im a technician and i am trying very hard with the 5 word per minute code. If there is a program or anything at all out there would someone please e-mail me a link or send me a copy of it. Very musch appreciated. 73's Chase kg4nlc
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:57:51 PM »

Search for and download the free G4FON software.  Set the character speed at 15wpm and the word speed at 5wpm.  Follow the instructions with this program exactly.  Start with two characters and everytime you get up to 90% accuracy, add another character.

This program teaches code the right way so that you can continue to progress beyond 5wpm if you so choose.  No trick "shortcuts" that let you reach 5wpm but then form a barrier to overcome if you want to increase to normal conversational speed or contest speed.

The average person will need about 30 hours of study and practice to get two 5wpm.  There are some "superstars" who can get there faster but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Practice every day if at all possible.  Several short sessions per day are better than one long one.

Hope to see you on the air soon.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 11:45:08 AM »

While there are many fine Code trainers out there, I really liked a program called DMorse.  It teaches the Code in bite-sized pieces, then will generate random strings of characters to test you.

The random strings are quite helpful -- no context, as in the Code tapes to have you anticipate the next letter.

And, it's free.

http://www.glenfieldho.freeserve.co.uk/morse.htm

It runs in a DOS window.  Give it a try.

GL with it.

Peter, N4LI
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 11:12:36 PM »

There are many good Morse trainers out there.
All of them work.

However, NONE of them work if you spend your time trying to figure out which one works best.

Just pick one and work with it.  The less time you spend learning software packages, the more time you spend learning code.  Focus your effort on the code, not the software.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »

Help with   F I V E  ( 5 )   WPM Huh??    You gotta be kidding..............
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: