Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6.4L Ford PSD and HF  (Read 391 times)
KC8QVO

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »

Are there any ham radio operators on here that have successfully run HF from their 6.4L PSD vehicle?

What problems did you encounter and what fixes did you come up with?

I am researching the 6.4L for my next truck and am curious. I have a 2003 silverado Z71 with the 5.3L engine right now. The injectors make a lot of noise. The coils make a lot of noise but the noise blanker on my FT-857D takes care of the pulsing. Not so with the fuel injectors. I grounded the exhaust pipe to the frame above the rear axle and took care of the injector noise (turning off the noise blanker still brings out the coils but no noise with the NB).

Any such luck with the 6.4L? What about the fuel pump? I know this was a notorious noise culprit on the 6.0's.

Steve, KC8QVO
KC8QVO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »

Also, if anyone has a truck with this engine, what problems have you had (if any)? What fuel mileage do you get? What gear ratios and what capacity springs? Do you have any performance upgrades (tune, exhaust, intake, etc)?

Steve, KC8QVO
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:07:25 AM »

It isn't the injectors which make a lot of noise in your present vehicle, it's the shuttle.

All late model diesels now use common rail, electronic injection, and VERY high pressure fuel pumps. Although the tend to be RFI noisy, proper bonding will abate most of it.

The most important parts are the hood, exhaust system, and bed of the truck to the frame, and the bed to the cabin.

The next questions is, where are you going to mount the antenna, as that has some effect on the perceived noise level?

Last, peruse my web site for ideas.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC8QVO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »

I am still a year out from getting another truck, but I need to get out of my current one due to mechanical problems and reliability. Maybe sooner. I need to cross all my T's and dot all my I's before I make a move though. I don't want to screw myself once I pull the trigger HI.

The antenna will be mounted off the side of the trailer hitch - which is my current location, drivers side, which allows me to still use the hitch for towing. Plus I can see my band markers in the mirror HI.

The antenna is a Tarheel model 200 screwdriver.

If bonding, like the work I put in to my current truck, will take care of a lot of the noise thats no problem at all. A few hours worth of work is all that would take. Maybe a day's project to do the installs and bonding.  

Steve, KC8QVO
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »

Look up Press Waterman, a Ham in Long Island, he offers factory Ford Kits for RFI at a discount. Maybe he has a solution for the Powerstroke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: