Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Setup Idea (what coax?)  (Read 1539 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 06:49:03 AM »

True. But in my opinion, a Larsen NMO 1/4 wave is black is about a stealthy as you can get.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »

Arguing about the performance of a Comet vs a Larsen?  

Larsen wins.  

No-brainer.  

For more reasons than just performance specs, too.  

Larsens LAST.  

And they work as advertised.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »

Now back to the original question as to using small diameter coax between the handheld and the amp in the trunk. Yes it will work just fine. 1 dB of loss for a 10' run.

And as to the antenna? There are several good recommendations for stealthy and not so stealthy antennas.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »

Arguing about 1dB of loss in a mobile feedline that is likely to be used for FM repeater jockeying?

Priceless.  

Merry Christmas!
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »

I have both the Comet B-10NMO and the Larsen NMO2/70 bk

The Larsen is CLEARLY the champ and I use it when I need fringe coverage.

But the B-10 is what I use 90% of the time since it's only 12 inches long and inconspicuous.

It works nearly as well as a 1/4 wave on 2 meters,
and it has excellent performance and pattern on 440.
KD0IPJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Thanks all for the suggestions this far. I'm still leaning towards the B-10 because of the size. This will be my first setup besides my HT and given the car I'm putting it on, esthetic's are important as well as the performance. Given the arguments so far, I'd say that the small difference between a 1/4 wave Larsen and the 12" B-10 is not enough to justify that large of an antenna. If I had a pickup, maybe. Also, I can see the argument for a mobile over the amplifier with my HT. My argument there is that I have everything I need on my HT including GPS with APRS, dual monitoring, and triple band. Getting what I want in a mobile would cost a lot more than that $150 amplifier and using it with my current radio. Then later on I could sell the amp when I have the money and get a nice dual band mobile. As far as the mount, I see some people saying I should drill a hole instead of the trunk mount I was thinking. How much difference in performance would I get between the two? I maybe wouldn't have too much of a problem with the hole later on but as this is my first time, I was thinking I would keep it a little more removable for the time being.

KD0IPJ
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 05:50:23 AM »

I know, your first tendency is to fight against all the ideas that you didn't come up with.  Well I did that too.

That K600 mount looks ugly to me.  I would rather use a angle mount of some sort.  But then again I used a K400CNMO and a simple 19" whip I bought for $8 at a local Motorola shop.  My primary vehicle is a minivan van so obviously looks aren't everything, and I can get it in the garage w/out removing it.

I also would advise getting a regular mobile radio.  I did the HT/amp combo years ago.  In fact I still have a BD-35.  You still have to mount the amp somewhere in the car, plus you got a HT laying around , probably plugged into a power socket.  On the outside that little black antenna will look neat, but in the passenger compartment you are going to have a load of cables and such inside.

A $100 or less will get you a used Yaesu FT-2500 from Ebay.  I have two of these radios, never had a bit of problems.  You will be much happier with a 50 watt mobile and simple antenna than you'll ever be jostling around with a HT.

Mike
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 05:58:38 AM »

Just found this:   http://www.scoden.com/pdf/mobile.pdf

A 111 page pdf.  The very first page is an explanation of antenna mounting.  Article claims center of the roof the best, followed by center of trunk, fenders, and finally on glass.  I see in the picture that a fender mount is -2.8db, so in effect you are losing whatever gain the Comet B-10 has.

Well, good luck, hope you will be happy with what you install!

Mike
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 06:12:02 AM »

Isn't the loading coil and other antenna losses figured into the gain? If it isn't then the mfg is lying and hasn't really taken any measurements to compare it to a reference antenna or even done computer modeling that includes the loading and matching networks.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »

hi,

Don't want to be a wise guy but you will end up with
what many call an HT on life support,
sma cable to the amp, power cables to both amp and ht,
plus the wear and tear on the sma connection when you
are not mobile.

Not sure of the power levels on the HT,
you will have to allow for the duty cycle of the ht,
otherwise it will get hot if you run it at 5W to drive
the amplifier.

Be sure to run #8 THHN wire to the amplifier if you mount
it in the trunk to compensate for the voltage drop.

The larsen is a great antenna, I use a cushcraft csm270,
you can hardly see it on the car unless you look at the base coil.

With the correct antenna you will not need the amplifier.

73 james
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:30:31 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
N3MQM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »

Yaesu FT-2800, $150 75w can't go wrong
N3MQM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

Now $109 at HRO
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print