Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB/Com Port interface?  (Read 2429 times)
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »

I use this adapter for a couple of different devices on an XP laptop and it works just fine...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086963&CatId=447

Have not used it with a radio, though, so I can't comment about that.  On the other hand, for $10 you can hardly go wrong.

Good luck!
KF7EGD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »

Just an FYI, make sure you stick to USB to Serial converter that has ONLY serial. I bought converter from Fry's a while ago that had the serial and parallel connections on it and it stinks! It only works decent in Windows XP. Linux/Vista/7 is out of the question. Plus, I have managed to make it work with only my Cisco equipment and nothing else. Every other standard USB to Serial dongle Ive used works fine...

Here is the device I was talking about:
http://www.frys.com/product/5829673?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Manufacturer:
http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I4219
N6LY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »

After several failed generic interfaces, I will say this:  KEYSPAN KEYSPAN KEYSPAN KEYSPAN!

Get a Keyspan:  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=518&txtModelID=3914
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »

Al,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query; I haven't looked at this thread for a while.

I use the Dynex DX-UBDB9 USB/Serial adapters to connect my Kenwood TS-570D(G) to my Toshiba laptop.

Mostly for rig-control in N1MM contest logging software.

Have also experimented with rig control in Ham Radio Deluxe.

Works perfectly for both.

Mel - KS2G
WM9V

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »

lots of fun isnt it ?
i bought a couple cables from ebay that are chinese
origin and had mixed results with them
most of the cables sold from stateside vendors should work
the yaesu cable is mini din and usb and needed to trim the boot on the mini din to seat properly
locally ,a ham with an apple machine,( i run only pc stuff), has had some problems with upgraded software for his computer that rendered previously working interfaces unusable
the ebay cable from same vendor was wired wrong... both of them and eventually got them to work
this was obvious in that the mini phone plugs for icom were not wired to the  tip and ring right
i ended up taking apart the molded phone plug end and redoing them and that solved that problem
one thing ive noticed with this hardware is that the usb cables are not hot swappable
one must reboot afer connecting most of these usb devices  
im off now to write some reviews of the west mountain plug and play and maybe hrd
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

Not sure if you found a cable yet but here is one that I use to connect my TS 2000 to the usb on my computer. Cables Unlimited USB 2.0 to serial adapter. I got mine from Fry's Electronics for $20. Fry's #4161333.  If you are using it for rig control, it must be rs-232 compliant, and this one is and it does has the chips that was in one of the other post. However the cable is short so you will need a longer straight thru cable, not a null modem cable.  Good luck es 73
KB5IAV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »

I have a Belkin and it works very well.  I'm using it to connect a Piexx interface board in my TS-140S to my Dell Latitude laptop.

I did have a problem with the interface locking up but did manage to fix it.  The problem was I had to plug it into a different USB port.  Once I did that, all the problems went away.  Strange I admit, but it's working so I'm not complaining.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »

Cables To Go model 26886 from Tiger Direct (their product number C184-26886). $12.99 plus s/h. It uses the Prolific chipset.

The driver loaded with no problems. I now have two "serial ports" on my laptop. One controls my Winkeyer USB and the Cables To Go unit talks to my FT-1000MP. Both these devices are connected downstream of a 4:1 USB hub and work just fine.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: