Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor Scope/Spectrum Analyzer software  (Read 714 times)
N7IOH

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »

I would like to use my PC to monitor my transmissions.  I want to be able to see if I'm flat topping, overdriving my mics, test different mics for frequency responce, and adjust my radio for best operator performance.  I operate AM, FM, and SSB only and changing between the different modes i'm not always sure I have everything adjusted correctly.  I would like to find something that is free if possable and easy to use with an easy to read display.  I'm not sure the best way to hook this all up so if anyone has some input I would sure like to here from you.  
Thanks, Al N7IOH
W2PMX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 10:20:01 AM »

Free?  No.  Even if the software were free, you'd still need a receiver of some sort (spectrum analyzers are receivers) to grab the signal from the air and demodulate it.

You could check flattopping (SSB) and overmodulation (AM) (and key clicks on CW) with a pretty cheap scope, but FM is beyond the capability of a scope, and so is checking for spurs.

There's a cheap RCA 3 inch scope on auction at eBay - around $30 yesterday, IIRC.  That's enough scope for SSB and AM (and CW) checking.  Actually any scope is.  Check the ARRL handbook for instructions on how to set it up and how to interpret what you see on the screen - that's just a bit too complex to address here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: