About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why CW  (Read 4269 times)
VK4TJF

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:56:25 AM »

I used to be a SSB man who was very concerned with squeezing out every watt from my radio and sometimes even over driving it. however now days instead of worrying too much about it i just do CW

these are the things that I learned from doing CW
or 10 reasons that I like CW

1. It can be a quite mode of operation so good for night ops when baby is asleep just use head phones

2. There is no reason to turn on compression or worry about the ALC meter it just kicks out full power

3. If the DX cant hear you on CW then forget about it

4. Use a narrow band CW filter and/or decrease the AF gain to dig them out of the mud

5. You will be able to make contacts with the slightest and faintest signal, something never dreamed of on SSB

6. No worry about language barriers and frustrating accents

7. DXCC is obtained a whole lot faster with CW

8. not a lot of CW operators out there compared to SSB ops and you will be respected and may even be requested to operate

9. CW keys are like shack adornments

10. 100 watts is plenty with CW no need to upset the neighbors with an AMP.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »

Good points all.  I like the one about shack adornments Smiley

I think I've got 5 keys now, and I've only been at it for two years.

I have to admit though.  Vintage microphones are also cool.

mike AA4N
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »

I agree with all except about the number of active stations.

There probably are more active stations on SSB than CW, but when propagation is weak, where do you actually hear the signals?  ;-)

On CW, of course.

When there's a near radio blackout due to a solar flare, where do you still hear signals?

On CW, of course.

If you had to homebrew a rig with a handful of random components and were given 60 minutes to make a working station, which mode would you choose?

Um, same answer.
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »

VK4TJF  This is great!  I love it.  
TNX

KE7WAV
KG4TKC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:45 AM »

Nice list VK4JTF,I enjoyed that,thanks for posting. 73 es GL-KG4TKC
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »

Nice post.  I am getting back into CW and find a lot
of friendly folks wherever my signal puts in.  I remember the 70's and the wall to wall CW on the novice bands when school let out for the day.
Art
VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »

Yes reason number one works very well for me.

I can operate at night for hours and not wake-up the whole house.  With the headphones on I am as quiet as a mouse.

When the 2year old was first born I used to sit in the same room in the dark working the world!

Well the two and five year old boys are now in the room next door and are oblivious to my night time CW activities.  Couldn't do that on any voice mode.

David Mayes
VK3GDM
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »

its just plain cool..

billy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »

I can keep eating while sending. 

And -- 70W is plenty good. 

If you have an aerial worth the name. 

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:11:19 AM »

Why CW?

Well last night I worked RZ3AXX for my 100th country on 80 meters QRP which means I finished 5 band DXCC QRP and 8 band DXCC QRP (80-10 meters). All CW.

Sorry for the brag but I had to tell somebody - you can't just walk in the office on Monday and say I finished 5 band DXCC - you get some real strange looks. haha.

...of course there is the little matter of getting the last 7 QSLs in my hands.

Why CW? Because it works!
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »

"Sorry for the brag but I had to tell somebody - you can't just walk in the office on Monday and say I finished 5 band DXCC - you get some real strange looks. haha."

True - Congrats!! Hope you get those cards.
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »

It seems like most of the 40 meter SSB traffic is nets!  If I want to ragchew I go to CW.  I appreciate how accomodating most of the folks are, too.  If I ask for QRS or RPT  I usually get it.
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »

"Sorry for the brag but I had to tell somebody - you can't just walk in the office on Monday and say I finished 5 band DXCC - you get some real strange looks. haha."

I can, my boss is a tech longing for his general.
I have a ways to go on the paper though.  But I did get my WAS yesterday.  Just started on CW last week with MFJ straight key HIHI.

Joel - N5XTR
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

Great stuff.  There are first-class operators on SSB, great folks to ragchew with.  On CW there seem to be more of these kinds of ops.  CW ops seem to have more respect for other CW ops, because the op on the other hand knows how hard you've worked to gain your skills, and how much you love CW in particular and Ham Radio in general.  If you didn't, you most likely couldn't develop superior or even average skills.  CW ops are polite and know how to listen.  Occasionally I will run into someone who wants to hog the QSO, but not very often.  It's just magic, pure and simple. Rick, n5xm
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »

Fortunately, my first ticket was CW, HF only.

When I was able to use SSB, I wanted to upgrade to the next ticket, which meant faster CW copy.  I had tons of FUN on homemade wire antennas using CW--it was the natural thing to do.

Right now, why CW is because I can make CW xmitters.
Bob
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: