Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Logging Software  (Read 810 times)
KC8UJZ

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:28:13 PM »

I was wondering if anyone logging software for computers. (PC).  It also shouldn't have to be used for a contest only.  I need it to be compatible with Windows 95 and XP.  I would also like to stay under $50.

KC8UJZ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 12:08:20 AM »

DXKeeper is free, and available via www.qsl.net/dxlab .

Its designed for ease of use, but that means lots of graphics. In combination with lots of functionality, you'll find that it consumes much of Windows 95's limited "resources". It works much better on versions of Windows without that architectural defect: NT, 2000, or XP.

Dave, AA6YQ
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 01:08:38 PM »

Ditto the DX Lab suite.
Great software and the price is spectacular.
I don't know if Dave has set some minimum hardware requirements but I wouldn't use it on anything under 500Mhz and 256M of memory.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

Check out N3FJP.  He has a general log program called AClog and standalone contest programs for many of the contests.  The contest logs can then be imported into the general log.

The nice thing about this program is that it is very user friendly and intuitive.

You can get his entire suite of programs for under the $50 target.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:39:46 PM »

As to the minimums necessary to run DXLab, it depends on how many applications you wish to run. The primary factor is Windows: if you run Windows 95, 98, 98SE, or ME -- all of which share the horrendous "fixed pool of resources" constraint -- its hard to run more than 4 DXLab applications, no matter how much memory you have or how fast your CPU is. This fundamental defect in these versions of Windows simply cannot be worked around. If you run a version of Windows without this constraint -- NT, 2000, or XP -- then you can run the entire DXLab Suite without difficulty. There are ops running it on 200 mhz NT machines. Enabling broadband decoding for PSK31 or PSK63 does up the minimum CPU performance to 400mhz.

DXKeeper and all the other DXlab applications are entirely free. So if you're still running Windows 95, 98, 98SE, or ME, take the money you would have spent on acquiring comprehensive station automation software and use it to upgrade to an effective and reliable operating system. You'll have money left over, and all of your other PC-based activities will be far more enjoyable.

I don't mean to imply that NT, 2000, or XP are perfect; they are not. But in terms of reliability and performance, they are lightyears beyond the 9X family.

Dave, AA6YQ
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:23:47 PM »

Try WinLog32.

Not too complicated, not contest-oriented. Excellent reviews on eham.net.

Free.  Registration is optional.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 11:27:09 PM »

Try WinLog32.

Not too complicated, not contest-oriented. Excellent reviews on eham.net.

Free.  Registration is optional.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 08:36:32 PM »

I agree with N8UZE I think N3FJP program is great. I think you can get his general program for about $19.00 and get his whole bunch of contest programs including the general logging program for $50. You can download it for a trial period for at least 30 days maybe more I can't remember for free.
Terry
WB4QNG
KB1KSO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 02:13:30 AM »

I use XMlog can beat the price it's free. It has all the features that I need. Check it out www.xmlog.com
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 01:18:47 PM »

hi try this free software it called logger32,i love mine and great software ! ,you can do all thing in this software you can do dx cluster,mapping, you can log them in,do lota things .                           check the website  http://www.kc4elo.com/
you need to down loaded for the free software.i think you might like it,gave it a try.i love them !

Jackie
KG4ORX

PH2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 09:40:09 AM »

You can take LuxLog from LX1NO. It is for FREE, very easy to use and has a mailingsystem for questions, updates etc.  

You can find it on: www.qsl.net/lx1no

Best 73's
Arno
PH2A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: