Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna mount for Jeep Cherokee  (Read 2177 times)
KC0FTC

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

I'm looking at getting a Diamond NR22L antenna to put on top of my Jeep Cherokee.  It does have a luggage rack.   I'd like to be able to fold it down easliy.  There are several mounts out there but haven't came across one for a 96 inch antenna.  I'd also like to run LMR-400 to the radio so I need a mount that I have to use my own cable with.  

For those Cherokee owners, what did you use and how did you mount it?

thanks
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:48:11 AM »

Diamond does have the K400-C but I don't want to use that thin RG316.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:51 AM »

The Diamond antenna in question does have a fold over built in.

I'm not fond of any of the Pacific Rim antennas, as their ruggedness is in question. What's more, they publish calculated gain figures in dBi, and sometimes leave of the 'i' as if to mislead buyers. But if you really dig into the designs, you'll see the coils are rather low Q, so what little gain they do have is mediated by the losses. These reasons are why two way shops don't use them.

The truth is, you'd probably be better off with a 1/4 wave NMO mounted directly. If most of your transmissions are through repeaters, you'll never notice.

KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:17 AM »

You mentioned Pacific Rim Antennas. Is that another name for Diamond Antennas?  I used to have a Diamond SG2000HD. Wow, that antenna could get into repeaters a long ways away.  I once got into a repeater 120 miles away using one.  60+ miles for most other repeaters with a 45 watt Radio Shack HTX 242.  Loved that antenna. Got into a Winsconsin repeater from Missouri via troposheric ducting.  I had it on a magnet mount and used fishing line to secure it from falling over, worked great.  That was on my old Neon.  

I was thinking of the NR22L antenna with the K400C mount.  But I really don't want to use RG316.  Is there another mount that I can use with the NR22L that doesn't use RG316?  I'd like to use LMR 400.  

Thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:07:30 AM »

Pacific Rim refers to off shore manufacturers like those in China, Japan, Malaysia, Korea, and of course the Philippines. Some of the products produced are wonderful, and in fact the vast majority of US purchases (electronics, cars, etc.) come from the Pacific Rim. Unfortunately, some of it is junk. Here's my take.

I haven't seen any antennas from Diamond or Comet, that I would own. The reasons are varied, but the most significant one is their basic structure. Any time you connect antenna parts together with set screws, the ruggedness goes out the window. The phasing coils are often wound with small wire which makes them lossy (low Q). Adding some insult, they're encapsulated which further reduces Q. Their (calculated) gain figures are always advertised in dBi, if indeed the 'i' is present, to make them appear better than their US counterparts which typically show gain is dBd. They do this because they know people play the gain game, as if that is the only thing which counts. It isn't.

Proper mounting is key to antenna performance. Mag mounts, clip mounts, and such, add ground loss. Making matters a bit worse, the mount style used by too many Pacific Rim antennas, are modifications of an SO239. They were never meant to be antenna mounts. Most of them leak, even with the antenna attached. A properly installed NMO won't leak period, even with the antenna removed. And speaking of which, both Diamonds and Comets NMO style mount in incompatible with a (New Motorola) NMO.

And, the coax they use on their K400 type mounts is rather lossy, prompting some to choose a different coax as you have. The truth is, a good grade of RG8X is probably the best choice all around. Unfortunately, you can't bend it around corners like the cheap stuff, but if you install your antennas like you should (drilling a hole), the bending issue is moot.

There is a lot more involved in operating safely while mobile-in-motion, than tossing a radio in the front seat, and sticking on a mag mount; dis aliter visum.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »

What would you suggest for an anenna and mount or my cherokee?  Thanks
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »

I know drilling would be the best option but there is no way that I'm going to drill a hole in my Jeep.  This is the first time I've heard negative things about Diamond Antennas, I sure loved my SG200HD, that antenna sure got out.  They were the antenna to get back 11 years ago when I got into this.  
Anyways, I'm always up for suggestions.  I want the highest gain antenna with a good mount and low loss cable without having to drill a hole.  It also need to be able to be folded over so I can pull into my garage.

Thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »

Ask yourself this question: Why don't I see Diamond and Comet antenna sold by two way radio shops?

If I can find it, I'll e-mail you (you do have your e-mail posted?) a pix of a Tokyo police Toyota Supra. On the roof is a Larsen NMO150, and NMO450, and what appeared to be a Larsen GPS antenna. Sort of speaks volumes.

KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

My e-mail is Aaron1100us@yahoo.com.  I had a Motorola VHF 2 way in my Neon once.  I had a Larsen Mag mount and antenna.  Wasn't really impressed with the quality of that particular mount and antenna, seemed cheap.  The connections inside the mag mount corroded from moisture entering.
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »

Is there a good quality Larsen mount and antenna that would be good?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:58:24 PM »

I thought I gave it to you: NMO2/70BK.

Just for the record...

I don't like mag mounts, no matter who made them. You always run a good risk of having alternator whine, especially on transmit. They do come off, and just because that never happened to you previously, doesn't mean much. Four years ago, an Ohio woman was killed when a mag mount dislodged from a plain clothes police car. I wonder what she thought at the time? To me, it just isn't worth the effort.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:31 PM »

Thanks.  That antenna looks good and a good price too.  Good reviews on here.  Ok, what mount should I use that would let me use LMR 240 or othe low loss coax?  No holes and no mag mount.
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »

I'm thinking about the NMO-150 single band antenna.  I was looking at mounts and did not see any adjustable lip mounts, only mag mounts and a non adjustable trunk lip mount.  I would like a mount that I can fold the antenna over so I can put the Jeep in the garage.
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »

What about the Comet RS-720/RS-720NMO
Med-duty, 3 adjustment planes, up to 60” antenna. The RS-720NMO has a 3/4” hole to accept an NMO mount. And the Larsen NMOK NMO [Motorola] Roof Mount with 17 feet of RG-58A/U?
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »

Ended up ordering a Larsen NMO 150 antenna and Larsen NMO mag mount with RG-58.  The mag mount is only temporary untill I can find the correct mount that I want that I an use LMR-420 with.  I also ordered an MFJ 842 SWR meter and a 3 foot section of LMR-240 to got between the SWR and radio.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: