Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fundraising ideas  (Read 13204 times)
KD5PCK

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »

Just curious as to what other clubs are doing for fundraising. Our local club only has one main source of funds other than membership dues and that is its annual hamfest. Like most hamfests, attendance has been down the last few years and trying to get major dealers to draw in the crowds isn't all that successful. We are sort of in a catch 22 situation. I know raffles are pretty common, but we encounter two main objections with them - one, not many of our members like to sell raffle tickets and two, what can you raffle that the general public would be interested in winning?
So what has your club done in the past for fundraising? Did it work? Did it not work? Was it worth it? Did most of your club's membership partcipate?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Scott
KD5CPK
KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »

Well, our club tried and failed at a fund raiser.
We tried to sell raffle tickets for a Yaesu FT450 hf/6m radio. We were going to sell 100 tickets, so if someone bought one, they would have a 1/100 chance. We thought that would be a big selling point, making it where everyone had good odds. We were selling them @ $10 each, so if we sold all 100, then that would be $1000. The radio was going to cost us $720, so we would make a little. But to date (after 3 months of selling) we had only sold 56 tickets, well past the end date that we originally planned. So looks like I am going to have to mail back all the money from the tickets we sold.Sad
But it might work for some other club.
Steven
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »

Steven, just a thought about your raffle.  What about providing free shipping of the radio to the winner within your state?  You could email other Illinois clubs of your raffle and maybe even post it on your state ARRL website.  Even with the extra cost of shipping you should net about $250.  At $10 a ticket and free shipping I would be more likely to buy tickets from clubs anywhere in the state.  Get the information out on the local radio nets and ask them to pass the information on to others.  I would also think you could post your raffle on eHam or other web groups but you may have to limit it to Illinois residents only.  I don't know if you can sell raffle tickets outside of your state.  Just my thoughts.

Al, n7ioh
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »

Scott, that's a good question about what would the general public be interested in.  Guns seem to be quite popular in many states.  I think that could be a problem in some states though.  I think you hit the nail on the head, it's the economy, people are not buying.  What use to work is not working as well.  I think I would try and keep it something a ham operator would want.  The reason being you and your club have connections there.  Most hams can use more equipment, a HT or 2 meter for the car, can't have too much gear right.  I would check with HRO, AES or some other ham radio stores to see what they are selling a lot of.  You are going to want to raffle something that is popular and in demand.  You are going to have to get the club members behind the raffle to sell tickets.  Maybe set up a booth at the next hamfest to sell the tickets.  Use some of the same advise I gave to Steven about getting the word out.  You can't sell tickets if you don't get the word out.  I still think the free shipping within your state is a great idea.  I live about 4 hours from Yuma, AZ.  I would be happy to take a chance on winning one of their drawings if they would let me buy the tickets from my home and ship the item if I won it.  Just my thoughts.

Al, n7ioh
KD5PCK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »

Al,
 Our club does offer to ship any of the prizes that we raffle at our hamfest. we feel that if you win something, you shouldn't have to pay to get it. After all, you already bought the ticket to win. Maybe you're right. I hope it's just an economic thing that will pass. We might have to offer the raffle tickets online in the future. I suppose it would involve doing some homework first to see what the laws say about offering raffle tickets across state lines.
N9ZMM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »

First I was looking up this question myself.  Our Hamfest will not happen this year. But I know raffles are the best way to get fast cash.  I like the offering others to buy tickets, maybe posting Paypal on the website. If I knew I would love to pay $10 for a chance to win a nice radio.  Free shipping yes too! Other ideas for general public could be from a TV to a Gas card.

If you have people that like to cook or bake you could do a Pancake breakfast or a bake sale.  I know the local schools do well with that.  Don't forget a few door prizes too. And maybe on top of it a 50/50.  We do 50/50s at our club meetings.  The other half buys door prizes for future meetings.
WA4BRL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

GMX: Perhaps representatives from your club can travel to meetings of other ham clubs and sell tickets at those. Do ask their leaders ahead of time whether it's OK with them. But remember that most people are willing to help out in a pinch.

Also have club members carry the tickets when visiting ham tailgate gatherings and hamfests. One or two guys wearing placards could likely sell the remaining tickets rather quickly.

Did you try a promotional mailing about the raffle? I would send post cards about the raffle to all hams in the local area. It's easy to get a listing of hams' addresses in a particular zip code. You can print them on mailing labels or on the actual post cards. Depending on the number mailed, the postage and materials might consume much of your profit, but as a last resort, it could ensure completion of the "contract" with those who have already bought tickets.

Consider these options and more, but you and your fellow club members should COMMIT to the footwork and sell those tickets! You'll discover what works and what does not. Then use that knowledge for that next fundraiser.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 12:27:32 PM »

What is it that the club needs the money for?  That should give you some clues.

If you own and operate repeaters, and they're a basic benefit of the club, then make sure you're charging enough dues.  $20 a year minimum.

I know some clubs that still snail mail the newsletters - and that's more expensive than the repeaters.  Include a surcharge in the dues for any member who wants the newsletter snail mailed - $10 a year would just barely cover it.  Email and on web is the way to go.

The methods by which you raise money should tie in with the reasons you spend it.

- k
KF7FTG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »

As a 32 year broadcaster, I urge you to contact your local radio stations. The FCC has largely discontinued their quota policy on Public Service Announcements, but we still have to keep records about how we act "in the public interest" I'm always looking for things from non-profits that I can talk about. Our local club is gearing up for a Tech License class, and I put their info on three of our four stations. I'm going in tonight to the meeting (to take the General test!) and I hope to find out how the response has been. best of all, it's FREE!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:38 PM »

If the money is used for club activities that benefit club members the members should pay up.
KC8KNM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »

What is it that the club needs the money for?  That should give you some clues.

If you own and operate repeaters, and they're a basic benefit of the club, then make sure you're charging enough dues.  $20 a year minimum.

I know some clubs that still snail mail the newsletters - and that's more expensive than the repeaters.  Include a surcharge in the dues for any member who wants the newsletter snail mailed - $10 a year would just barely cover it.  Email and on web is the way to go.

The methods by which you raise money should tie in with the reasons you spend it.

- k

BUMP....
This is a really good question, in my club, there's never been a mention of what the money is used for that's raised during activities and it's really important to know.  Support for the repeater is minimal as I don't think we're charged for the space occupied by the repeater and antenna and the club doesn't fund snacks for the meetings.  I saw the financial report one time and the bank account seemed pretty static over a couple of periods of reporting so to me, it looks like the club is just sitting on cash for no other reason.

To answer the question, we were doing a Papa Murphy's pizza coupon sale for awhile.  It didn't do too well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:40:27 AM by Chancelor Chao » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »

I had brought up the idea of a door prize as a way to bring in folks for a test session in one of the VE forums and the other members brought up some very good reasons to avoid it. There were questions of impropriety at a test session (a really good one) and then the issue about "gambling" (game of chance). That would be a hotbutton where I live as our entire state has become polarized over something as simple as bingo.

I believe that if you are going to do a fundraiser you need to spell out clearly exactly what you plan on accomplishing with the money. If someone came to my door I would want to know that the money I may donate is going to serve some purpose other than beer and pizza on a Sunday afternoon or to pay some fat-cat salary for an executive at a non-profit (United Way, Red Cross, PBS, pick your poison). The kids selling candy bars say "so we can go to summer camp this year". I am all for that as if they are at summer camp they are not trespassing on my land (yes, I am the old lady who yells at the kids) <j/k>.

Tisha Hayes

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KF7ITG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »

We always raffled guns. We did one rifle, a nice AR-15 and a pistol like a 40 mm Glock. The weapons would cost us around $1100. After printing tickets and other overhead we generally cleared $3500 to $4000. The tickets aren't hard to sell.
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »

Our club sells 50/50 tickets at the monthly meetings (50% to the winner, 50% to the club), tacks on a bit of profit for special event t-shirts, club patches, Auction (One meeting is dedicated to Auction Night with 10% going back to the club) and ARRL Renewals.  We use the fund raising for special event QSL cards, Field Day, Donations, and Annual Christmas party.  Hope some of you can use these ideas.

73's,

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: