Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 out of band trans mod  (Read 12190 times)
N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »

Thanks for the offer, but another ham linked me to a pdf file thats shows how its done.

Thanks again for the offer
73 N6ES
ZR1PJA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 02:57:22 AM »

I feel that it is an absolute disgrace that when a fellow ham asks for advice that he gets critised in such a rude manner. You are not policemen, leave that to the authorities. If a person asks a question then they expect an answer to that question and not your personal feelings.

If I were to ask how to increase the speed of my car to well above the speed limit are you going to give me the same rude response about speed limits and try and be a policeman or are you going to share the info with me how to mod my car.

To all those self appointed policemen and those who critise unnessessarily and in such a rude manner, you know which finger is appropriate.

Have a great Sunday
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »

N6ES:
"Good question! The answer is "emergency communications". I will be camping in a remote location that does not have cell phone coverage. Unfortunately there aren't any 2 meter repeaters near by, and HF is unreliable.

We are all old retired folks, and most of us are not in the best of health. The need for emergency medical assistance is always of concern to us. Most of the campers, including the BLM campground host and a near by military base capable of calling for assistance monitor a CB channel they designated for "emergency communications". The military base can call for medical assistance when needed.

Believe me, having to use the CB band sickens me, but in an Emergency I will use whatever mode of communications that works. Being on a fixed income and possibly only needing to use the CB band for a couple of weeks, it makes censes to use my TS-480. When I no longer have to count on CB to respond to an emergency, I will restore it to the factory defaults, I will not sell a modified rig. By the way, a ts-480 is not an external amplifier and to the best of my knowledge is not covered under part 97, and if I have to use the CB band in an emergency, I will use less then 5 watts when possible and stay in compliance with the CB regulations. If this information is incorrect, please correct me.

As to fearing the lose my license over this issue, well... I fear forgetting where I put my license more so then the FCC wasting our tax dollars chasing down a modified amateur radio.

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.  "

The TS-480 is not type accepted and 5 watts is as low as the output goes.

The last time I checked, a radio had to be type accepted and output no more than 4 watts to be legal on 11 meters.

That's two strikes against using it on CB.

Your information is incorrect, it is in no way in compliance with CB regulations.

You said the other campers, the BLM campground host and a nearby military base already have a designated emergency channel they monitor. If that is the case, then a "normal communication system" IS available, and you have no valid "emergency" reason to use a ham radio on 11 meters.

Spend $50 (or less) and buy a CB.

You might take your own advice, read the rules.
N6ES

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »

"The TS-480 is not type accepted and 5 watts is as low as the output goes.

The last time I checked, a radio had to be type accepted and output no more than 4 watts to be legal on 11 meters.

That's two strikes against using it on CB.

Your information is incorrect, it is in no way in compliance with CB regulations.

You said the other campers, the BLM campground host and a nearby military base already have a designated emergency channel they monitor. If that is the case, then a "normal communication system" IS available, and you have no valid "emergency" reason to use a ham radio on 11 meters.

Spend $50 (or less) and buy a CB.

You might take your own advice, read the rules."

N5MOA  What part of §97.403 don't you understand? Maybe I should make it a multable choose question.

Read §97.403 and we will have a little test.

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

1)What is meant by "Safety of life and protection of property."

A) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

B) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.  

C) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

D)All of the above.

The right answer is D.

Did you get that question right?

I had two heart attacks and quadruple bypass surgery, another one might will kill me. Most of us are dispersed campers and disabled one way or the other, most cannot physically respond to an emergency, but they MAY be able to using ,providing they can be heard over the cussing and the fowl mouths jamming the band. Do I have to explain the meaning of dispersed camping and disabled to you?   We could have another quiz if you like.  

If I deem it necessary to invoke §97.403, I will not hesitate one moment to use every watt of power I can squeeze out of my TS-480. And frankly scarlet, I wont give a dam about CB rules. I seem no one else does either. §97.403  supersedes everything! Do I have to explain the meaning of supersedes, or do we need to have another quiz.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »

N6ES:
"I had two heart attacks and quadruple bypass surgery, another one might will kill me. Most of us are dispersed campers and disabled one way or the other, most cannot physically respond to an emergency, but they MAY be able to using ,providing they can be heard over the cussing and the fowl mouths jamming the band. Do I have to explain the meaning of dispersed camping and disabled to you? We could have another quiz if you like.

If I deem it necessary to invoke §97.403, I will not hesitate one moment to use every watt of power I can squeeze out of my TS-480. And frankly scarlet, I wont give a dam about CB rules. I seem no one else does either. §97.403 supersedes everything! Do I have to explain the meaning of supersedes, or do we need to have another quiz."

If I had your history of health problems (sorry about that, I don't wish ill health on anyone, and I hope your health remains good)and I was camping in an area where a cb channel was monitored for emergencies, I would get a cb. Not mod my radio for "just in case".

Also, you said you wouldn't sell a radio that had been modified. Why? If it's ok for you, why not the next guy? Double standards, or do the rules just not apply to you?

As for 97.403 superseding everything, you have a radio that covers all the ham bands from 1.8 to 30 mhz, plus 6 meters. And your explanation, if you used it on cb channels in an emergency to have someone sent help, would be that the only frequency you could contact anyone was channel 9? You might want to work on your antennas before you mod your radio.

What part of "when normal communication systems are not available" do you not understand?
And no, we don't need another quiz. You've explained quite well you don't "give a damn" about the rules.

Have a nice trip, and enjoy your camping.
ZR1PJA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

N6ES, You do what you got to do to ensure you safety and well being and enjoy your camping trip. I thoughroughly enjoy camping myself.

3 years ago we had a fire on our table mountain in cape town. I used a non type approved radio to call the emergency services on their frequency and managed to get a quadro plegic and 2 ladies evacuated from a house by directing the emrgency services to them. I then fought the fire myself, and had to use the same radio to call for help for myself as I suffered a mild heart attack.

I know that we are in different countries with varying rules but as far as I understand the IARU and ITU support this.

It save my life and 3 others. I used my call sign, and when I got back home I contacted the authorities and they were just happy that I had aided them and thanked them for saving me. Not a single word about using the radio. It did not cross their minds.

I would recommend that you do have a SSB CB rig as it is channelised and therefore quicker to use in a rush instead of trying to remember the frequencies which are not consecutive.

Have a great trip my fellow camper.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »

hi,

you can get a new Midland 1001Z 2-Way CB Radio
on amazon.com $34 with free shipping.

best bet to own the cb radio, anyone hiking or
camping should have several ways to communicate.

you can still bring your ts-480 and toss up a dipole.

73 james
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »

By VK6NDT
"Mod away. experimenting is what Ham radio is all  about."

What "experiment" is being performed?
(Besides, "can I do this without mucking up the rest of the SMT circuitry, which I can hardly see anyway?")

And what exactly does the average ham these day LEARN by copying the instructions from mods.dk and removing an SMT diode? Is the theory explaining WHY removing this diode "opens up" the radio listed with the mod? Of course not. Does the ham even care? Hah, make me laugh.

And most of these "MARS" mods say "Now you can xmit on all freqs between XXX and zzz". Um, not exactly.
There are band pass filter issues, low pass filter issues, etc.  There is a REASON all these mods come with the caveat "The user of this mod is responsible for any damage done to his radio when attempting this mod or for operating the radio after the mod is performed."

What you don't know CAN hurt you,or well your radio.
It violates the Service Warranty for one thing. And if you think you can reinstall that SMT diode or diodes without the factory tech noticing your hack job you are sadly mistaken.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: