Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do so many hams hate Hamsexy???  (Read 696 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »

Because i find it rather entertaining and funny at times! At least some hams on there can make fun and laugh at ourselves and not feel bad! If im feeling down in the dumps i go to Hamsexy and get a good laugh or two.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »

Eric, I don't visit Hamsexy for a variety of reasons, but if you like the lighter side of it, fine.

I don't blog or twitter. I don't belong to facebook or any other networking site. I seldom pass on jokes, although God knows I get hundreds of them a week from well-meaning amateurs; I wish they'd spare me, frankly. But that doesn't mean others can't enjoy their Internet activity. If it turns your crank, sobeit.

There is a portion of Hamsexy I don't like, and it's true of some other amateur radio related sites, especially those dedicated to antennas. To wit, the technical side (?) of far too many of the articles, comments, and discussions appearing therein, contain far too much anecdotal, and unsupportable nonsense. Because of their personal appeal, however they come by it in name or action, newcomers to the hobby end up repeating (and believing) the nonsense, to the detriment of us all.

One professor I once knew, was fond of saying; If it isn't peered, it shouldn't be cheered. He was speaking of peer review of course, and wouldn't it be nice if we had a way to remove the nonsense? Alas, we do not, and all we can do is support the few sites which strive to maintain a peer-revewable content. eham.net is on the top of that pile!

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »

I looked at Hamsexy a while back and was amused.

But I never did get the etymology of their term, "whacker," which refers to cop wannabees who install flashing lights on their vehicles.

On the other hand, so to speak, I probably don't want to know the history of the term. 
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:21:25 AM »

Dunno.
But, with a name like that seems as if they are catering to a ham segment I'm not interested in.
Bob
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:04:16 AM »

"But, with a name like that seems as if they are catering to a ham segment I'm not interested in."

Ditto!

73 de Lindy
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:34:48 AM »

Been a fan from the start. The only people I have noticed getting offeneded is the kid down the street with 50 antennas on his car or some sort of flashing gizmo to get folk's attention.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:14:22 AM »

But you have to laugh at some of us and our wild fixations on certain areas of the hobby. Yeah whenever i see a vehicle with 10 antennas on top i laugh. We hams are pretty easy to pick on and make fun of. One thing i have learned is most hams dont like having the precious hobby made fun of. Make fun of the wife/GF (that is IF the guy even has one!), dog, car, house or the guys manhood, but its fighting time if the ham hobby gets made fun!:)
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »

Personally, I have not visited the site and probably won't, although, I'm a fun-loving guy and I certainly might enjoy some of the exchanges there.  However, I feel that our hobby is a bit more sophistocated than a site with a juvenile-sounding name like "Hamsexy" suggests.  It's the NAME that leaves me cold.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: