Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zen and the Art of Radiotelegraphy  (Read 6346 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:12:04 AM »

You can turn off the Koch method in G4FON by selecting all of the characters in the Setup. You can adjust the Farnsworth by selecting a faster character speed than the effective code speed.

Say you want to practice at 5 wpm, but you want to hear the individual characters at 20 wpm. Select 20 in the Actual Character Speed box, then select 5 in the Effective Code Speed box.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »

In Just Learn Morse Code, and I suppose other programs for learning and practicing Morse code, Farnsworth timing is option (just as using Koch's method is an option).

Farnsworth timing is controlled by using two numbers for speed.  If the two numbers are equal, you're using standard timing.  If the numbers are different, you're using Farnsworth timing.

The Just Learn Morse Code help file contains some information about Farnsworth timing.  You'll find it in the help menu.

LB3KB Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

It is only thanks to the genius of Guglielmo Marconi that telegraphy "takes off"...

Thank you for making me smile, Carlo. I guess it is a natural human trait to reflect as much as possible of past glory onto oneself or one's own. Almost half of the book Lightning Man. The accursed life of Samuel F. B. Morse by Kenneth Silverman is an account of that trait, documenting the many attempts by the persons (or: egos) involved in the invention, implementation and commercialization of electromagnetic telegraphy to make themselves be The only rightful inventor, beneficiary, genius behind the idea. I cannot even begin to list names and occasions when and to what degree this happened, and the mere fact that Marconi is not once mentioned, despite the book spanning a time into the 21st century, is only witness to this, not allowing him the honor of having added a novel dimension to the concept.

Vail's share of inventing the dotdash code has already been commented on. Read that book to understand where such claims are coming from to be able to give them their due weight.

Nevertheless, and not debating who is the real inventor of telegraphy, the code, or any of the related inventions and improvements, the book does deliver a credible account of telegraphy taking off decisively and inestimably at least in the second half of the 19th century, so, some 50 years before Marconi's wireless extension. By then, literally all continents of the world were connected by cable and using electromagnetic telegraphy to communicate across borders and without time constraints.

That said, I, as a code addict, was disappointed that wireless telegraphy never made it into that book. But the very last paragraph of the biography, on page 445, does point out how the code is still alive and kicking:

“In the new millennium, the code continues in use among radio amateurs. It is being revived as a means of communication for persons who have little or no ability to move, or who cannot speak or sign—who are ventilator-dependent or who suffer from severe cerebral palsy or some other devastating impairment.”

Thank you, Carlo, for your dedication and time spent to write and publish your book. I shall read some more of it after I work my way through two volumes of Morse's letters and journals, edited and supplemented by his son Edward Lind Morse. If I find anything giving credit to Marconi or shedding light on the Vail vs. Morse controversy, I shall add it here.

73 de Arno K7RNO

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

As Carlo says: "When he can get away from family and work tasks, [Carlo] never misses a chance to stop by at his friend and mentor Claudio, IK0XCB, who owns a super-station with a 25m tower, is a professional sommelier, and runs a first-class restaurant where the most rare and precious bottles of wine can be tasted, to shamelessly take advantage of all these facilities. If you are wondering whether he feels guilty of taking over his friends station, turn all the radio knobs, beam his antennas wherever he likes, tasting a rare wine from the restaurant cantina while his friend is working hard to earn a living, the answer is … of course: no."

Bravo Carlo and Claudio! I've downloaded the book and printed it out ... part of my CW journey.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »

Carlo: In my reading so far, the most interesting part in your book is where you discuss how much faster the "primitive" part of the brain is, compared to the "cogitating" part. My journey in learning Morse code started three months ago and has gone up, and down, and now back up again -- and this has a lot to do with "eliminating the thinking." Or even, thinking about something else altogether, while copying code. Strange but wonderful.

Your writing is beautiful, and I bet it's even better in the original Italian! Your book is joining the others in my small library relating to The Code, and I think I will find it especially useful in the future when I QRQ (my current speed is 17wpm). I have learned 25 of the 40 characters (Koch method, G4FON) and I will try the relaxation exercise that you suggested. Progress is quite slow, but steady, and (as you say in your book) it's better to be slow and intense, than fast and superficial.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: