Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callbook Preferences and Quality  (Read 598 times)
WO8USA

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2004, 05:53:43 AM »

I am getting ready to update my callbook by purchasing a new CD ROM.  Which of the calbooks (I only know of three-RAC, QRZ, and HamCall) provide the 1) most complete callsign lookup, 2) best features for knowing more about the operator, and 3) loggin program compatibility?  

I have the RAC CDROM, and wonder how similar the others are to their web sites (RAC does not offer a Web look up feature).

Chris WO8USA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 06:07:40 AM »

Chris,

Personally I use the RAC "Flying Horse" CD ROM version. Since most web-based callbooks are updated on a daily basis, interfacing to a logging (or contesting) program is the only reason to own a CD ROM callbook. I use the Logger program (http://www.kc4elo.com/) and it works quite
nicely.

The RAC also provides some other ancillary programs on their CD in addition to the callbook. I have looked at them for curiosity's sake, but honestly, I have never used any of them.

QRZ is the clear winner in terms of web-based callbooks. Again, they all have the same information, but their on-screen format is the most "user friendly". Along with that, I think most would agree that probably the most frequently heard thing on the air for both stateside and DX stations relative to sending a QSL card is something like, "address OK on qrz.com". I hear this on CW, all of the digital modes and on phone. Sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me!

de Scott NØIU
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:17:36 PM »

And I have taken QRZ on-line one step further.

I have a logging database program which I have written, in Corel Paradox8. I start the database running, my label printing program and then open up the QRZ site in my browser.

I then lookup call and get to the the detailed listing page in QRZ. I then highlight and copy the text that I need for my database into the Windows clipboard.

When I click on a button in the Paradox program it reads the data from the clipboard adds it to the database. The Paradox program then reloads the the necessary data for a mailing label, formattted for the mailing label program.

I then use the paste function to enter the label data into a blank label in the label program, print it out then save it.

When I am done entering data, another button in the Paradox program creates a mailmerge file which I then use with WordPerfect to print the backs of my QSL cards.

In spite of the number of steps, it goes surprisingly fast. Most importantly, the QRZ data vs a database on CD-ROM, is always as up-to-date as possible.

Dennis / KG4RUL
KB1JCY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 06:13:44 PM »

KG4RUL,

You know that you can get data files from the FCC? The FCC posts nightly updates. I imagine that you can create a macro for Paradox which downloads the nightlies and import them into your database.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: