Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter negative press  (Read 5832 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:51:15 AM »

"The last sunspot peak the low end of ten meters was very difficult to use because of illegal CB ops using ten meters. There was rarely a time when the lower end was not full of CBers."

But we are not at a peak. Far from it. But you are probably right, because during peaks, all radio activity is increased throughout the ban. Not just from illegal CBers. Again, this would be depending on where you live. I have not heard the CBers in my part of the woods. At least not yet. They weren't on the other night.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »

Oh, They're there all right...

Just because we don't hear them now is not a sign that they have gone away.

If anyone doubted the proliferation of so-called "ten-meter" rigs being sold and used by CB'er types, all they would have to do is use Google to look for retailers selling these radios.

Radios with channelized operation, on AM with built-in roger beeps and echos abound on the internet retail sites.

There obviously is a market for these things, or they would not exist. Who, then, is buying them?

If you can't figure that one out... Well just remember that when ten does finally open.

I really hate being so pessimistic, but Tom is right. Ten is probably going to be a zoo. This problem is not exactly new, but it has been getting progressively worse over the last few sunspot cycles.

Just speaking for myself, many times when calling CQ on ten during the last cycle, I would get answered by folks with made-up callsigns.

Folks like the "worldwide unit 870" out of Arkansas that answered my CQ one fine day. He was surprised to find that he was not supposed to be on ten meters.

After all, his new rig had all those channels on it, right?

... And he bought it at the local truck stop...

... And it must be OK to use because:"They can't sell it if it's illegal?"

Right?

Riiight!

Well enough pessimism for now...

CU on ten!

If it ever opens!

73 Gary
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »

Gary is right - even Amazon sells channelized 10M rigs with echo/beep. I did not know that...

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-200-GTL-DX-10-Meter/dp/B0009EI9EG
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »

Tom, I know it is becoming a nuisance. As I recall most of the time they would just start talking during my DX qso or what have you, usually did not prevent me from hearing and I could simply continue with my pile-up Smiley Myhome made 10M Log-yagi was 90 ft high and I was pretty stout signal during the last cycle. Today I could not know how bad it has become since I must use one indoor antenna on all bands I am lucky to hear anything lol. Sporadic E bander hehe.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »

Well getting CBrs on 2 meters is a way to get rid of the ops forever! Mst of the CB ops around here got tech tickets back about 1998 or so and now most of them are long gone for good on 2 as well as 11!!!!
Tere are a bunch of unused 2 meter beams and omnis as well as unused CB antennas up all over. The ops got in a big rush to get on 2,and then found out that it wasnt what they expected,so they left.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »

During one of the previous solar peaks, my favorite SWL experience was this trucker who chatted with his buddies all day during his trip from CT to AL.  I listened to him on and off for most of the day.  He had a reverb, and his "handle" was Thunderdog.  It went like "Thuuuunnderdogog."  I vascillated between anger, disgust at the intrusion, indignation, and outright guffawing with laughter at the audio.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »

You ain't heard nothing yet!
During the trough, 11 and 10 meters are quiet.  Since its quiet, more and more people creap into 10 meters unnoticed.

As the band starts good F-layer openings, you'll start hearing all of the illegals on 10.  Just wait till all of the CBers from South America, Indonesia, and Asia start coming thru on AM.  You'll have to pick your way thru the channel crap.

Truckers running not only CB rigs but also CB amps to chat wit each other will com thru more and more.  As the zenith starts to wane, the FCC will get around to sending warning notices to a few trucking companies.

Hell.  Radio Shack might even start selling 10 meter rigs again?

Check out 12 meters.  That's the next strong CB target.

One time, I was tunning across 10 meters and heard an English broadcast about the President of the USA visiting, he was in CHina.

I called the local FCC office and chatted with a nice fellow who said the FCC was aware of CHina's increasing use of ham bands--nothing they could do about it.

Try calling your local field office now.

Go ahead, turn in Big Bopper using 28.545.  If your in 8 land and Big Bopper is some where in traveling 4 land, not to much the FCC can do with the recording you send to them.

If Big Bopper is local to you, and the FCC gets enough tapes, someday they will be in your area doing something else, and maybe they will DF Big Bopper?
Bob
K4FLH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 07:42:09 AM »

There are some "bootleggers" here in the Tennessee Valley on 10 meters down in the CW section and up above 29 megs. I hear them daily.
Bill
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »

I take it transmitting over them (not holding the mic down, but actually CQing) would be a bad thing to do?

I mean if they are breaking the law and using the band illegally, why couldn't a real ham just pretend they aren't there....whether the offender is transmitting at the time or not?
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »

"KD89625...what ever the hell that call is supposed to be"

I wonder if thats a play on the old telephone numbers (KLondike 534, etc).  

538-9625
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »

By K5DVW

"Calling CQ with CW or RTTY at legal power limit will get them to move."

Works for me, I use a KW RTTY, call DQ DX and run some RY strings in there.

"Even better if you make a valid contact"
Done that several times too, and got chewed out (rightfully so) by an oldtimer for running unnecessary RY's!

I have had 10m CW and digital DX QSOs
QRM'd by these CB and freebander idiots.
Some may question the ethics of fighting
them by calling on top of them, but I see nothing wrong with it if you are operating legally.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

"Please, Sir, stop trying to defend these illegal Cbers. Just because YOU aren't hearing them doesn't mean they aren't there or it's a "myth". They ARE there and have been for a good many years. They ARE on 10 mtrs, 12 mtrs, 80/75 mtrs, 2 mtrs, 70cm, and I'm sure other bands."

First off. I am not defending them. If I don't hear them in my area, would you wish me to lie and just say I hear them? I am sure there are problems because most of those radios that are sold have bands in the 10m area. I just don't hear them as much as people make it out that they are there.

The funny thing is that the CB bands where are live are not crowded, so they could just as well stay their. But you have to understand. I do not live in Texas, where the CB bands are more popular. My area is rather dead. Even on 2M.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »

BR549 yep.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »

I live here in N.Central Texas. I very seldom hear anything bad on 10. When the propagation is good I occasionally hear Mexico or South American stations there. I do hear lots on the so called Freeband from 27.420 up to 27.950 or so. I really don,t recall hearing any American truck drivers there. I use a 10 meter vertical up 40 feet.    73, Jim
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »

Jim, during this suspect repeater QSO, where was the control station?  He could have ended that in a half a second by turning off the repeater.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: