Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: J Pole question  (Read 696 times)
KB1TGQ

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Still early in the learning curve here.  My wife has said "no" in no uncertain terms to a mast or any "white trash" looking antennas.  So I've been looking at the J Pole antenna designs so I can bring my 2m mobile inside sometimes.  Are these omni-directional antennas or directional?  What would be the benefit of this design over a "flagpole" design with a single vertical element?

Thanks.

David
KB1TGQ
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:18 AM »

Hi David,

J-poles are omni-directional, unity gain antennas most commonly found in use at VHF and higher frequencies.  they are fairly stealthy if mouned low, but there are better options depending on what frequencies you want to use.  Spend some time on "Stealth Antennas" as a topic here and other sites and you'll get some good ideas, I'm certain.  There are pretty good antenna systems that are almost invisible, but you have to match your needs and location constraints to the antenna design.

I'm sorry your wife has such a low opinion of outdoor antennas.  I've met very few hams I'd classify as "trash" of any sort although I've met my share of eccentric ones.  Our hobby attracts a broad social spectrum in terms of occupation, socio-economic status, education and political outlooks.  
We have in common a fascination with the capabilities of RF energy.

Gordon, N1OU
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

> My wife has said "no" in no uncertain terms to a mast or any "white trash" looking antennas

Pasting a couple of links trying not to comment
I will say this though; some spousal comments are best not repeated verbatim. Smiley

http://www.ventenna.com/Ham-Description.html
http://www.ventenna.com/Stealth.html

Dimitri
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »

You and your XYL might like a Ventenna. It looks like a roof vent and attaches to one.

www.ventenna.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: