Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Semi-remote operation of radio  (Read 452 times)
MM0MSS

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2005, 03:55:19 PM »

My shack is approximately 50 feet away from my garage. I am exploring the possibility of operating my radio remotely from the garage (this is so that I can shout down the microphone in the middle of the night without disturbing the rest of the household !!!)....

Most of the functions on my radio (FT1000MP MkV) can be controlled by PC software...

I want to avoid any form of "radio link"... All I want to do is "hard wire" (with extension cables) my microphone, headphones, cw paddle, and radio serial port.

My question is basically to do with cable losses (particularly with the RS232 serial cable). Will I be able to extend the mic/headphones/paddle/serial cables to approximately 50 feet without any "loss" problems ?

I can test this, but I wanted to see if I was on to a non-starter before investing in cables and plugs etc

Regards,
Mark, MM0MSS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:31:11 PM »

50' with an RS232 cable is very doable.  However, be prepared with some ferrite cores to put on all the  cables, at each end, to get rid of stray RF.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »

<< (this is so that I can shout down the microphone in the middle of the night without disturbing the rest of the household !!!)>>

A Heil headset will be a LOT cheaper and work better, not to mention letting you stay in the house.

Also, it seems to me it would be much easier to move the rig to another location - maybe the garage.

Lon

MM0MSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:01:37 PM »

Hi Lon,

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.... but it's not the RX audio which is the problem - it is my over-excited shouting down the microphone when I hear a rare DX  hi hi!

As for moving the radio - it would be a bit of a chore (and not quick) as it is connected to various other equipment (amplifier, antenna switches, swr bridges, keyers etc you get the idea!!)

I have an old laptop which I can dedicate to this task, so it would just simply be a case of switching over to my "garage cables" and away I would go (in theory!)

Regards,
Mark, MM0MSS
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 07:27:32 PM »

<< but it's not the RX audio which is the problem - it is my over-excited shouting down the microphone when I hear a rare DX hi hi! >>

With the headset mike an inch from your mouth, you won't need to shout any more. Smiley

I think you are going to have problems with a mike run that long unless you got to balanced lines for the mike run.

Good luck with the project.

FWIW, a couple of very rude operators cause me to miss a JT and a VY this evening. @#$%^&%

Lon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: