Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British people  (Read 981 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

I am 2 for 2 in QSL cards to the UK (England, Wales), all with just a direct mailing, no money or IRC, and returned within days. I also once met a bunch of them in a bar once, and within 5 minutes, they were buying me beers. These have to be the nicest damn people on the face of the earth.

Conversly, I have sent 3 direct cards to Italy. Figuring I have an Italian name, I would get at least one return. NOPE!
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »

You may well receive a return QSL or two through the ARRL bureau some months down the road.  If you don't include return postage with your QSL, most DX stations will reply via the bureau. 

73 & Dx,
Chuck  NI0C
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

I was married to one.  Best idea I ever had was to get a divorce.

Save your $$$$ and QSL to the 300 easiest countries via the buro.

The last 50 or so will have QSL managers, usually one one in the states.

Now you celebrate the good news and buy some Guiness.

Bob
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »

There are very decent and nice people in every country - and also not so nice. Yes, there are less than a handful of countries where getting a card seems like pulling hens teeth - but Italy sure isn't one of them.

Work a few more "I's", and you will have more cards from Italy than you can imagine.

Best DX.
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »

To a large degree it depends who you work in a non-dx country... active big guns get a lot of unsolicited cards direct, so may well reply via buro if there's no $$, the rest of 'us' mortals are usually so surprised to get any card direct, we'll reply direct without a moments hesitation. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it seems to be the case more often than not.

I doubt 'us' Brits are any better or worse than most countries in the scheme of things, but it's good to hear that you have had good experiences... so far ;-)

As someone mentioned, use buro for run of the mill dxcc, and many will come naturally without you chasing the card... but let's face it, when you start out, you want that card back quickly despite knowing the card game is not for the impatient.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »

Your return from all countries is going to be pretty dismal with no SAE and return postage.  The last thing most DX stations need is another 1000 QSL's from the USA.  If you want a decent rate of return, you need to make it as easy (and inexpensive) as possible for the DX to send you a card.  Facts of life.

FWIW, I just received a QSL from an Italian station with an SAE and green stamp.  He needed my county.  What's rare and who needs a card is all relative.

The buro sent me five envelopes last week stuffed with QSL's and probably a dozen "I" cards in the mix.  KY6R's advice is perfect, just keep workin' 'em, and pretty soon you'll be able to insulate your shack with QSL cards.

You do have envelopes (or money) on file with your buro, yes?
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »

As K0RS said, make sure you have some stamped envelopes and/or cash on file with your QSL bureau. You may find some cards already waiting there for you! Also, don't be surprised if it takes a while to get a response from some stations. As I mentioned in another thread I still receive cards through the bureau for contacts I made years ago; in fact, I got a mailing last week that included a card from a CX station for a contact in 2001! My QSL policy is that if I REALLY need a card I will QSL direct (via the method specified by the DX station and always with an SAE and IRC or green stamps), otherwise I'll send it through the bureau. You won't get a 100% rate of return no matter what you do, but as long as you make it as easy as possible for the DX to send you a QSL, you'll end up with a ton of 'em!
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »

I actually received a card from the UK in which my own green stamp was returned with the note "have a beer on me".
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »

"You do have envelopes (or money) on file with your buro, yes?"

Yes.

I figured I would go Buro until I need certain countiries. I only start Dec 29th, so won't get anything back from the buro just yet. But some QRZ pages did not request money or SAE. As with the 2 Brits. They still sent me one.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »

"I actually received a card from the UK in which my own green stamp was returned with the note "have a beer on me".

I am telling you! I once went to Bermuda for a service call (no kidding). I stayed the weekend. On Sat afternoon, I went into a local bar that was full of Brits. Knowing I wasn't a regular, they asked me what I was doing there. I told them. I also told them I was a baseball fan as well as a soccer fan. The next thing you know is they are buying me beers and put the Yankees on via dish. Couldn't have been nicer people.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »

If it's a new one for DXCC, I go direct, SAE, return postage (greenstamp..) or use their QSL manager when specified. All others go out via the bureau. It takes time, but gradually the cards come in. Always nice to get the little packet in the mail (or any QSL for that matter). It's one of life's little pleasures.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »

My Grandparents were cockneys who moved to Devon (Torquay). My Mom was a tap dancer for the British version of the USO in WWII.

I have visited my relatives many times - and had the best time ever. I was even lucky enough to live in London - on Hollywood Road in Fullham - near the hospital, and all I can say - is the folks I worked with there became instant cousins - I swear I felt like I knew them all my life - just from the car ride from the airport to my new home when I arrived.

I couldn't drink all the pints they wanted to buy me.

Yes - great people there in the UK - that's for sure.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »

I don't require QSL cards and I tell people I don't send QSL cards, I can't afford it, and I don't intend to keep Royal Mail in business, but if I do have a card sent direct I always return one, with the dollar or euro enclosed. Sir,it is a matter of honour, God Save the Queen.

Mel G0GQK
K6BR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »

You probably did her a huge favour:-)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:22 AM »

W7ETA  wrote, "I was married to one. Best idea I ever had was to get a divorce."

Seems we belong the same club! We had no children together (thank goodness!), but she got custody of the dog. I really miss the dog!

Scott NØIU
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: