Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed mobile antenna insall in Norman OK  (Read 463 times)
WB5VBB

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »

I have a mount made for a scorpion antenna.  Need to cut a piece of flat metal 1/4 inch thick by about 1.5 inches by 30 inches or so.

Need to be able to use a torch.

I am at school in Norman and I don't have the right tools.  I had bought a 24v cordless drill.  Cannot even drill a 3/16 hole on one charge.   Last cheapo cordless I will buy.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »

I do have a good friend there who is a welder, but not an amateur. if I had a better idea what you needed done, perhaps I could help too. Vehicle? How? Where?

You also might look in the Photo Gallery on my web site for some ideas.

http://www.k0bg.com

WB5VBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »

Hi

I have a mount made but part of the mount rubs on a muffler shield and makes a bunch of racket. I need the piece trimmed with a torch. I have a plate that will be mounted between the hitch mount holes under the car and have a pipe mounted on the plate that comes out on the side of the car.  I will have a ground strap between the top of the mount and the top of the rear hatch back. The bottom of the antenna will be almost at the top of the car and about 3 inches from the side.  It's a Toyota Matrix.

The mount should support the antenna well. I didnt want to use a bumper mount.  I saw your Honda, one similar is on my wishlist for September.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »

Could an angle grinder get it fixed?  If so, You can get a cheap 110V grinder from somewhere like Harbor Freight for under $20 (maybe even $10).  I use an angle grinder and cut off wheel for a LOT of metal work.  Does pretty well.

Not great but it may get your piece done.  I went to college out of state and was away from all of my tools.  I had to but cheap junk for all of my temporary fixes.

Hope this helps,

Brad
WB5VBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »

Thanks Brad for the suggestion.  I have a small one back home.  Depending on the weather in Dallas on Friday I might be heading to Louisiana where my welder friend is.  I want to get it mounted on the car to see if I have any mount problems on the way to Louisiana.  My friend garantees the welds for life.  After I get the scorpion mounted up and checked out I plan on getting it powder coated.  Should outlast me and my Toyota.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: