Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 1702C ANTENNA SWITCH QUESTION  (Read 634 times)
N9EJS

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:15:58 AM »

I just purchased a MFJ 1702C antenna switch advertised to have built-in lightning surge protection, and an exclusive center ground position, with the unused terminal being automatically grounded for static and RF protection. With the switch in ground position, I found that the shield side of all 3 SO-239 connectors are shorted together with the A and B SO-239 center pins, to the switch case.  But the center pin of the incoming coax isn't grounded to anything- it's open.  Why shouldn't it also be shorted to the shield side/case for surge protection that may come in on the center conductor of the coax?
73 - George, N9EJS
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »

My remote switch on tower grounds everything when power is off. Sounds like a design problem/oversight. If you have an analyzer and dummy load, connect that switch in line and see if you get any SWR readings across the bands. You may have defective switch.
N9EJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »

If I can get them on the phone, I plan to call MFJ about it Monday, but thought I'd ask here. I'm not an expert, but I would think the greatest chance for static electricity to build up would be on the insultated side from the antenna and it ought to be grounded like everything else in the middle position! Thanks for you comment.
73 - George, N9EJS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: