Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging software with history?  (Read 581 times)
N0XJO

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »

I've seen a lot of threads on logging software and tried a few logging programs, but not one that really fit my needs.  

I'm looking for a Windows based program that does the following:

1.  I can type in a call sign and have it pop up with my previous qso history with that person and a little bit about them that I've previously entered.  Basically so I don't look like an idiot re-introducing myself, I can refresh my memory of what we talked about.

2.  If I have not chatted with them before, easily enter their call and location along with some notes about our conversation.

This would not really be used for contesting or anything like that, just casual use.

Anyone know which program would work best for this?
KC8VLP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »

The best one I can think of is the N3FJP ACLOGGER...you have the option of downloading calldata so all you have to do is type in the call sign and it will auto look-up the call and give you the qth and name of the station licensee (as long as it is in the U.S.A). You also have the option,if you are online at the time of the log, to configure it to look up on qrz.com. It runs at $19 and is a very good logging program for everyday use. The website for this program is n3fjp.com.
 Hope this was helpful
     -Josh-
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 05:51:45 AM »

I believe Win-EQF does this.  If you type in a call that you have worked before, it tells you so and then you can bring up those QSO records to look at them.  If you have entered such data about the QSO into the F6 Notepad you could have that info available to you right then.  Just a satisfied user.  This software is well supported also.  It has way more features than I use.  www.eqf-software.com
73 de Mike
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:47:20 AM »

The N3FJP software (called ACLOG) does this.  Just enter the call sign, hit tab and it brings up a list of all your previous contacts with that station.  Then you just right click on the previous contact to bring up a screen that shows what you entered for that previous contact.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 05:12:54 PM »

DXKeeper does this; its a member of the free-ware DXLab Suite, and is available via www.qsl.net/dxlab

Dave, AA6YQ
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 10:25:42 PM »

N3FJP  his AC Log is the best. I can use it with out reading any directions.  can also be networked if you do a multi multi contest, has rig control, and dx spotting and more if you want it, and Scott and Kim are super responsive. there is also a Yahoo group..

$39 for the whole shebang, the logger, and all the contest stuff. and more..
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 10:28:31 PM »

N3FJP  his AC Log is the best. I can use it with out reading any directions.  can also be networked if you do a multi multi contest, has rig control, and dx spotting and more if you want it, and Scott and Kim are super responsive. there is also a Yahoo group..

$39 for the whole shebang, the logger, and all the contest stuff. and more..
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:35:27 PM »

Logger32 will do this as well as lookup calls and everything else the other software packages noted here. You can't beat the price, as it's free! The learning curve is a bit steep but after a little time you get comfortable with it and it becomes easy. If you're looking to use it for contesting you should use some other program, as there is too much information that pops up when you enter or click a call sign. Also be very careful if you setup to automatically upload your logs to one of the electronic QSL sites like I did! I uploaded several years' worth of logs without knowing it and the resulting email generated from confirming stations overloaded my in-box for several weeks!
http://www.kc4elo.com/
WZ7I

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 04:28:34 PM »

Scott:

This is one of my main criteria for choosing a logging program.  For about 15 years I have used Logic.  It is perhaps the most capable logging program but with that complexity comes a learning curve.  But I like it because it will do exactly what I want it to do.  

For example, for any given QSO, you can enter a one line "Comment", or a "Note" of unlimited length.  If you type in a call for a new QSO, the program immediately brings up a list of every previous QSO you have had with that station.  A single click on any of those previous QSO's brings lets you see all the date including the Note you wrote about that previous QSO.

But the feature I think you would enjoy the most is the "Bio" field.  Here you can enter large amount of text (unlimited, I think) about the other fellow and when you have a new QSO with that station, all of your Bio material from all of the previous QSO's with that station are there in front of you.  I really like this feature because it allows me to really get to know the ham on the other side of the QSO.   I can start the conversation where I left off the last time.  It adds immeasurably to the pleasure of ham radio.

Wes, WZ7I
WO8USA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 06:13:17 PM »

I have used ProLog2K for years, and it is great for recordkeeping and doing exactly what you want--if I have QSOed before I know it immediately.

But if I was starting from scratch, I'd go with the N3FJP software.  He offers everything for a great price, and you get free upgrades.  Service is great.  The logger is fantastic.  I will likely convert someday.

The only improvement I could ask for is better GRAPHICAL depiction of who I have worked, rather than just a logbook.  You will be happy with it.

Chris WO8USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: