Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-60 reception issue  (Read 8231 times)
KG6YXY

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »

Hey all,

I have a FT-60 that I am using to send/receive APRS. I'm using a laptop (Dell D600) running AGWPE for my TNC. I have the CT-44 breakout cable plugged into the HT and a shielded line running to the mic input of my laptop. I'm using a simple 1/4 wave groundplane antenna.

My problem is I can clearly receive the packets off air, but when I connect the radio to the laptop my reception gets much worse. I have the squelch off and the background noise s level jumps up as soon as I jack into the radio.

I've tried running the laptop with and without the power supply (strange enough, it seems slightly better with the power supply plugged in). I've tried a choke on the audio line going to the laptop, no significant change. The noise will increase even if the computer is not connected (ie jacked into the radio, but the cable is just hanging).

Any suggestions are appreciated...

-Paul
KG6YXY
KI4YIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »

I'm having very much the same problem with my RigBlaster Advantage but nobody seems to have an answer.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:21 AM »

You are probably getting an audio hum or rf hum from the laptop when it is plugged in to the HT. Might take a look at the audio output of the laptop into a scope and see what strange stuff make be riding on the audio.

Also, you might try an isolation transformer in the RX audio line. Could stop your problem.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »

It could also be an impedance mis-match between the 4 or 8-ohm audio output and 600+ ohm microphone input. A lo-z to Hi-z matching transformer might help.
KZ9G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »

I had a similar issue until I built a audio isolation transformer. I just used the one that radio shack has and wired it to a project box with the approiate connectors for using with 1/8in connectors for the audio lines. You can just hack a jumper in half and solder it to the transformer. That will work but over time the lines will break.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: