Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARC Century Club  (Read 6255 times)
W1LIC

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »

A new club has been formed to promote activity on the WARC bands.  It is called the WARC Century Club, WCC for short.  Anyone interested can go to this webpage:

http://www.obriensweb.com/warc-cc.html

You can request your WCC via this page.  There are over 400 members now.  

Suggested WCC calling freqs are:

30   CW/10.121    Digital/10.143
17   CW/18.081    Digital/18.103    SSB/18.155.5
12   CW/24.911    Digital/24.923    SSB/24.985.5

Hope to see you on the WARC bands!

Wes W1LIC
WCC # 56
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »

This sounds like a bad idea.  If it were just to promote the use of WARC bands, particularly to avoid contests, that would be one thing.

But having a WCC number is a major risk...it crosses the boundary.

The Straight Key Century Club started out as a good idea, to preserve CW.  But they issued numbers.  And then awards for working 100 members with numbers.  And members did it.  And pretty soon, the only SKCC QSOs were to exchange name, number, signal report and the obligatory "rig here is", and that was that.  It's as close to contest operating as you can get without having a time limit.

Yes - good idea to use the WARC bands more.
No - VERY bad idea to issue numbers and offer awards for working so many members with numbers.

I don't even bother with the so-called SKCC frequencies any more, because nobody wants to really ragchew.

- k
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »

I ragchew on SKCC frequencies.  
But at my speed a simple QSO with the standard exchanges and detail can take a while.  I have had a few QSO's last over an hour.  Most are around 20 to 30 minutes each, but like I said I am really slow and I don't chase numbers but I do exchange them.
I am also a member of the 30 meter digital group which has numbers and many awards.  But I do not chase those either although I have applied for many.
Maybe I am just a rarity to be 30 years old, no code extra, and enjoy CW even though I have only been working CW for a few months.  I have already disconnected the mic on my rig and put it in the closet.
The WCC is another club like 30MDG, EPC, 070, and others...numbers, awards, and encouragement to use the warc bands.  Some of my most cherished DX was worked on 30m.  While I probably will not join the WCC I still think it is a good idea.  I think maybe the number thing was sprouted from the 10-10 guys, but you have to pay to play with them.  A shame really because I enjoy 10 meters also but 30m and 6m are my favorites.  I have thought about maybe a 6 meter group with grid awards and such like 30mdg but never followed through with it... Ok, I'm done.

Joel - N5XTR
SKCC #6417
30MDG #632
EPC #8272
KU4GW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »

I ragchew frequently with other SKCC members. The only time most of the number swapping goes on is during the monthly 2 hour Straight Key Sprint or the Weekend Sprintathon that is held one weekend per month or during a special event like the yearly month long K3Y Anniversary Event that happens every January. The 7th Anniversary K3Y Event is going on now! Info is at http://www.skccgroup.com/k3y/index.php Other than that I have many ragchew QSOs on SKCC frequencies. 7.055 and 7.114 are the 40 meter frequencies, the latter being for slow speed CW operators and 14.050 on 20 meters. I think the WARC Century Club is a great idea! Just because you exchange a club number does not make it a contest! Where do I sign up? The link posted by W1LIC returns a 404 Page Not Found error. Looks like K3UK Andy has done away with the page.

Very 73 de Cliff KU4GW
SKCC#652 NAQCC#1491 Flying Pig QRP Int. # 1183 GORC#399 FISTS#16001
http://www.qrz.com/db/KU4GW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: