Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding an RS-232 Serial Port  (Read 729 times)
N1UK

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »

I have just installed a Koutech 221NE Dual Port Serial PCI Express (x1) Card. The drivers installed OK and Windows appears to see the card. I hooked it up to the equipment that I am going to use (RigBlaster Pro) and the DTR, TXD and RTS lines appeared to be stuck high as shown by the monitoring LED's on the RigBlaster Pro. I disconnected the RigBlaster and made up a simple loop back cable and performed the test described here

http://www.eioba.com/a16620/diy_step...mport_checking

I get no data in the Hyper Terminal screen. Is there anything else to try or can I assume that the outputs of this card are dead?

Has anyone else got this card to work? Is there a better card that actually works out there?

73 Mark N1UK
WA7CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »

Well, I don't have any knowledge of the card and the link to the loopback cable is broken, so here's some general musings that you may have already tried.

Check Device Manager in Windows Computer Management for problems in the Ports section.

Launch two instances of Hyperterminal, each attached to a different Com Port, and use a null modem cable to connect the two Com Ports. Try setting both Hyperterminals for no flow control.

With no flow control, your null modem cable can consist of TXD crossed to RXD and ground connected through, three wires. If you haven't discovered them, RJ45 adaptors are the world's coolest cable building invention ever - Link provided for picture only, not site endorsement: http://www.pccables.com/01910.htm. Available in DB9, DB25,male & female. (Get a de-pinning tool, too)

Does your computer have a built-in Com Port. Involve it in the test.

As above but use two computers, if you've got them.

Reinstall Windows. (Just kidding!)
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:33:20 AM »

DTR should be high whenever the port is opened by an application.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »

I received a replacement card yesterday and now both comm ports are working fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: