Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need install help with Larsen NMO Thick mount  (Read 681 times)
WX2RBJ

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »

I'm a 'new' Ham and I am finally getting the radio installed in the truck!! Thats a BIG YAY for me because I have been trying to get the time to do this. Anyway, I need to connect the coax to the Larsen thick mount NMO connector and unfortunatly I cannot find the install guide. I want to do this right. I feel I've done an impressive job up to this point(The install is in my Company truck and I have kept safety a high priority!)

I just dont know how to bring the RG-400 to the connector. I know its probably simple but I want the best possible connection.
Someone please if you have the cutsheet or any kind of install guide, please hook me up.

In the meantime I have to find some shrink tubing for my soldier connections to the power harness.

Thank you in advance for your input!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »

Hi Bob and welcome to the hobby.  I'm not sure I know what RG-400 is.  Maybe LMR-400?  Either way, I would recommend that you go to the ARRL web site (www.arrl.org) and, using your ZIP code, locate a ham radio club near your area.  Contact the club and ask them to suggest someone who could stop by and help you with this.  There is nothing quite like learning by watching someone with experience do it.  A bad connection at your antenna will be the "weak link" that can throw cold water on this exciting point in your amateur radio experience.  Track down some help and soak up the knowledge.

Good luck.

Terry, WØFM
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

I would hope he is not using LMR-400. It's far to UN-flexible for snaking through most mobile installations.
Having said that.... He probably DOES mean RG-400.
(RG-400/u) which is a Mil-Spec coaxial cable. Dual shield, silver plated inner and outer conductors, with a  Teflon dielectric. PASTERNAK has the complete data SPEC. SHEET here:
http://www.pasternack.com/pdf/RG400U.pdf

Don't be too quick to "jump" on someone's statement as incorrect, sometimes they DO INDEED know where-of they speak.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »

I agree with Terry on the Rg400 vs. LMR400. Rg400 is upwards of $2 per foot, and few amateurs will but coax that expensive. Especially in a mobile scenario where it is unwarranted (use wise, as in over kill). And that isn't the half of it. Soldering this stuff to a PL259 with a reducer takes real skill. That's one of the reasons there are special BNC fittings made for it.

The real truth is, a good quality RG8X will suffice for any mobile installation, HF or VHF. At HF, it will easily handle 1,500 watts if the SWR is reasonable. And since we're talking rather short lengths, the loss difference is all but nil.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: