Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jeweled vs non-jeweled Vibroplex bug  (Read 1156 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »

What is the difference in feel between Vibroplex jeweled and non-jeweled bugs?
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »

I can't vouch for the jeweled-bearing Vibroplex models, but I have several bugs: two Lightning bugs and two blue racers.  They're all pretty smooth, but each has it's own personality.  I can't imagine that the jeweled bearing  would make an enormous difference in performance, but I might be wrong.

What I think is more critical is learning how to set up the keyer so it operates efficiently.  Lots of info on the web about adjusting them, but it's very educational just to dive in, monkey around, and see what works best for you.

Just my two cents.

Bill, KJ6CVO
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »

I can't tell the difference in operation. Looks is another story.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 06:48:31 AM »

The jeweled version should last a lot longer. After 20-30 years of use you'll probably notice a differenece in the "feel".
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »

Bob:

You're probably right about the jeweled movement lasting longer, but I dunno.  My 1933 Blue Racer is my oldest Vibroplex and it's also my smoothest bug by far (maybe it's just nicely "broken in").

But the jeweled bearing sure looks pretty.

Bill in Pasadena
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to know so I could decide whether to order a new Vibroplex Original without the jeweled movement.

I currently have a Blue Racer Millenium with the jeweled movement. The narrow base moves around a bit when I really get going and the blue color clashes with the dark grey amp, transceiver, and Begali keys (Spark and Simplex Pro). So it's time for a black original bug (has a wide base) and time to sell the Blue Racer Millenium.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »

Too bad they just very recently raised the price of the black 100th Anniversary Original by about $40 or $45. It was a bargain which is why I picked one up.
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

I have a Champion and a chrome Original. The original has the jewels. I have arthritis in my right thumb and the jeweled bug seems to irritate that less. In other words i think it takes a little less force for the back and forth movement with the jewels.
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »

Chuck:

On your non-jewel bearing bugs, try easing the tension on both the dit and the dah return springs.  Also, make sure the trunion adjustment isn't clamping down too tightly on the pivot points. It may make a difference.

I've got all my bugs adjusted for minimal effort and short travel.  They all send code very sweetly.

Bill, KJ6CVO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: