Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programs for club meetings  (Read 5305 times)
WA9AFM

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »

Looking for new and innovative program ideas for club meetings.  

We've trying to make sure each meeting is worth the time/trouble for members to attend, i.e. they walk out knowing something they didn't know when they walked in, and not just another 'business meeting'.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:21:12 AM »

Check with your electric utility , and see if they have a presentation on power line safety . The one here used to have a talk they gave to electrical maintenance people . It included some memorable slides , and a scale model distribution system , with live voltages .

Some of your own members can probably give a talk on their particular specialty , whether it's a recent antenna project , awards hunting , the finer points of QSLing , or how to navigate the FCC's ULS website .
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »

We had a great program recently from the assistant police chief of orange Beach, Alabama.  Through the generous donations of a local drug dealer, the police dept purchased a new commo system from Motorola.  Each handset was sooo heavy and the cost of each over $2500 bucks.  Great presentation and gave some insight as to public service communications.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »

Being the our local club's 2nd VP and Program Chairman, I am in the same boat. Having many new hams from our training sessions, I didn't feel like we should overwhelm them with a barrage of information but I did feel like the club owes them exposure to topics that would be both helpful and information while also being interesting to those more 'seasoned' hams.

To that end, I created a small (6"x9") double sided survey and topic interest form. I went thru the ARRL Handbook and the test question pool as well as what I knew was the interests of some our more experienced members (those who might be interested in doing presentations) and created a list of about 35 topics and grouped them under major interest classifications such as ANTENNAS, OPERATING, HOMEBREWING, etc. with topics ranging from very beginner like "How to properly use the local repeater" or "How to build a simple J-pole antenna" to more advanced topics such as "Proper grounding techniques for your shack and tower" to "Setting up for EME using JT65A mode". I asked each club members to select 8 topics they would be interested in. I took those results and subtotaled them into the top 2 or 3 from each interest group and then set about finding folks to create and give the talk. I also asked each member to fill in 2 topics from outside interests that they thought the entire club might like to hear about. I did the same sort of processing for that data. So far this year we have had programs on '6M: The Magic Band', 'The Strange Antenna Contest', 'a local search and rescue group's presentation', 'A Beginners Guide to HF Communications'. Next month's topic is to be 'History of Shipboard Comm Systems' to be given by a Certified Engineer with years of experience in Maritime Systems.

I also compiled a short survey on non-personal information related to operating, experience, capabilities, desires to help/teach, etc. Of this data, I compiled the statistics and presented that to the club membership. This data also will be used to create programs and events tailored to the desires and likes/dislikes of the club as a whole. 

The amount of resultant data will allow program topics and events to be identified for the club meetings and outings for many months to come since we only have 9 meetings with programs a year. Jan is club dinner, and July is is club picnic and Aug is club ice cream social.

Hope these ideas help out. It is a somewhat thankless job trying to organize a club's programs and maintain interest for all involved.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KL7AJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »

Looking for new and innovative program ideas for club meetings.  

We've trying to make sure each meeting is worth the time/trouble for members to attend, i.e. they walk out knowing something they didn't know when they walked in, and not just another 'business meeting'.

Here's a few recent ones we've done:

1)  80 meter fox hunting

2)  Efficient H.F. mobile antennas.  (Especially relevant in Alaska, where we get FREE license plates and vehicle registration if we have 5 band h.f. capability in our cars.

3)  Beyond line of sight VHF operating.

4)  How to read an ionogram

5)  Taking the horror out of contesting.

6)  Zero budget ham radio

7)  Alternative test equipment for the cheap or poor

Eric
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »

Here are a few that we have done at W4UG:

1.  Auction night (10% to the club)
2.  Show and Tell night (Have people bring in their favorite gear and give a 10 minute "Why I like it" talk)
3.  Gadget Gadget Gadget (Similar to #2 but strictly the favorite gadgets)
4.  Local members DXpidition trips
5.  Super Simple Satellite Operations

These are just a few and they involve the club membership into the programs.

Good luck and hope you can use some of these.

73's,
Jeff, KA1DBE
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:38 AM »

Our club frequently uses DXpedition videos as a program. I have yet to see a boring one.
AE6WL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

We  built a tape measure Yagi antenna, good for 2 m t-hunting, at the C.V.A.R.C. , NR6P, club meeting. It was fun for all.

Tom AE6WL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: