Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-897D  (Read 2480 times)
KI4VLW

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:39:48 PM »

I am planning on buying a Yaesu FT-897D all band radio. My question is, I already have a G5RV 80-10M dipole antenna and that will go into one of the antenna ports on the back, I plan to buy a GP-15 triband antenna in 6/2M and what I need to know is with 6M can I use the other antenna port in that configuration (6/2M together)? Or will I have to use 6M with the 80-10M port? I hope this question is not too confusing.

Thanks
KD8FAK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »

The Yaesu FT-897D has two antenna conectors on the back HF= 6m - 160 and vhf = 2m /70cm . Plan on buying a couple of good coax switches and some 3ft pieces of the coax of your choice. I own this radio and I would recomend it However be advised that it is a menu driven radio and you will need to read the manual. You can find the manual online and study up first. This should either answer all your questions or give you lots more. Enjoy and 73,s Scott, KD8FAK
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »

The 6m RF only comes out of the HF port... you can't change that.

However, you can buy "duplexers" (really should be called diplexers, but that's not what the manufacturers say) that split and combine signals of different frequencies.

So, you use an HF/6m duplexer to split the HF/6 port into seperate HF and 6m outputs and then you use a 6m/2m+440 duplexer to combine 6m and the VHF port and send to your antenna.

You can also use switches but you have to be careful in that case to not send 6m energy to the VHF port and vice versa.  The du(di)plexers would be a much better choice for running 6m/2m on the same antenna.

If you're interested in 2m FM and 6m SSB, though, I'd suggest just putting up a seperate antenna for 2m FM and for 6m SSB, and make the 6m SSB antenna horizontal.  6m is great when the band is open with Sporadic E but you can still make tropospheric contacts out to well equipped stations a couple hundred miles away with 6m SSB and a modest horizontal beam... the cross-polarization loss will kill you if you use a vertical though.  Same goes for 2m SSB.

If you're actually planning on working only 6m/2m FM with the occasional 6m Sporadic E opening, the Comet antenna will suit your needs fine.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »

According to the manual, one antenna connector is for HF and 6 meters and the other antenna connector is for 144/440.  So, six meters is limited to just one of the connectors.

Again, this is according to the manual because I do not own an FT-897D.  By the way, it is fairly easy to go to the Yaesu web site (www.yaesu.com) and download their user manuals.  So you can read this stuff without yet owning the item.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »

"Again, this is according to the manual because I do not own an FT-897D"

I've got an '857D... same guts, different box... you can't change the ports.  I think the rig uses the same set of finals for HF/6m and another set for 2m/440...

I actually use a diplexer to split 432 off from 2m to feed two antennas and have a seperate one for 6m:

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/antennas/VHFcontest3_lg.jpg

I don't use my rig on FM though... I've got an Alinco mobile rig I have set up for 2m FM and just use the FT-857D on SSB/CW so I don't have much of a combining issue and just use antenna switches.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

6/HF is on hf portit will work on hf/6 port were 2/440 on the other.

Jackie
KG4ORX
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »

You can use duplexers/diplexers but there is usually some insertion loss associated with using them.

It may or may not matter, depending on what you intend to do.

Jeff/KD4RBG
KC9PPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »

I’ve had my new FT-897D for a couple of days and I was wondering if there’s a good website with details about the radio.  The manual gives very little details…
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: