Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-890 Drift Question  (Read 1058 times)
W1BVV

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT-890 which exhibits the common (I guess) problem of the VFO jumping 300 to 700 KHz down occasionally and then randomly returning.  The display does not change when this happens.  I have  tried the popularly suggested excersising of the trimmer cap in the VFO with limited success.  While I wait to make the decision to send it in for service my question is this. When it jumps, the received signal is obviously out of tune.  Can I retune down and assume the transmit frequency tracks down with the same jump, or if the vfo has shifted down, do I tune up the same amout to transmit on the correct frequency.  If I have to tune up, then receive will off by factor of two which makes it a non solution.  Is there and RIT solution here or am I stuck.

Dave
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:14 PM »

If the RIT is turned off, then your transmit frequency will track the receive frequency. However, the freq might jump while you are transmitting which will annoy the guy at the other end and possibly cause QRM to a nearby QSO. The trim cap problem is common in the '890. Get them replaced and the rig should be good for many more years.
W0ZF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »

Had the same problem with my 890 several years ago. The xmit frequency definitely shifted as well as the recieve, but the display stayed constant.  Sometimes the radio would suddenly go completely 'dead' - when that happened, I had to remove DC power from it for a bit before it would come back to life.  If I was transmitting at the time, it would make a sudden large shift in xmit frequency just before it went dead (according to my QSO partner once I got back on the air).  
I sent it to Yaesu for repair. They replaced the trimmer cap, and it has been rock solid ever since. Wasn't too expensive (around $75 if I recall correctly) but that was probably close to 10 yrs ago. The radio is essentially useless when it has the problem, but it's a great radio and worth fixing, in my opinion.  It's still my primary HF radio today.
W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:50 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I guess the situation is that when it jumps, if you tune down to receive, your transmit frequency goes even lower.  If you tune down with RIT, your transmit is unaffected and low.  The only answer is to RIT down with and tune UP to bring the transmit up to the original frequency.  In practice this is too difficult as the jumping is random and frequent.  Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get it repaired.

Any one know if Yaesu still services the FT-890?

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: