Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu MH-48 Microphone connector/ Flimsy  (Read 1998 times)
WA6CWV

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »

I just bought a new Yaesu FT2900 2meter radio for my truck. This is the first radio that I have that uses a"telephone type" microphone connector, 6 pin, crimped on, and with no cable/connector support. I hesitate to install this in my truck where it will receive moderate radio usage but perhaps heavy mechanical flexing and stress on this connector. Does anyone have a suggestion to improve the mechanical strength of this connection? Or any other work around?

Thanks, Russ  WA6CWV
Boise
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »

Hi Russ,

The "telephone type" RJ series connectors were designed for the abuse given most telephone cables.  They might appear flimsy, but those connectors really can take a licking and keep on ticking.  Many amateur radio manufacturers and most commercial FM two-way radio manufacturers have adopted these connectors today for their mobile radios.  

I think you can rest easy.  I've had half dozen radios with those mic connectors.  You're good to go with those connectors.

Terry, WØFM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »

My personal experience agrees with what Terry said. 

Not a concern. 

WA6CWV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »

Thanks for the confidence booster. I will charge forward and get this radio into use!!!
Russ WA6CWV
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »

I purchased my first IC-706MKIIG about 4 years ago, and after 2 months of mobile use, the rj-45 connector became loose causing intermittent audio loss. I crimped on a new connector and have not had a problem since.

-Jay
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »

I have been in the telephone trade for 31 years. yes those connectors are pretty tough. also extremely cheap and easy to replace, just need a proper crimper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: