Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lights flickering  (Read 2582 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »

Hello to all while tuning radio on certain frequency's only running 30 watts light flickers. I have 3 4 ft florescent bulbs fixtures each hold two bulbs .Only one fixture out of the three flickers on and off. This is at 40 meters. Can anyone tell me why.I am running a g5rv with a 31 foot lead in of 450 ohm ladder line . The last  ten feet of ladder line comes into the shack then i use a 3 foot jumper of heavy duty coax 1318fx professional ends put on . Which goes to a at -200 pro tuner  and an icom 718 radio.
W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »

If you have a Technician license and have not taken your General test yet (based on your other thread -"General Test") why are you running 30 watts on 40 meters?  

Seems you are just trolling for a new controversial thread or you just don't respect licensing rules.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »

No I am not trying to start anything. When hitting the tuning button to check my antenna. Light flickers. Taking test Saturday. I am not talking at all.Why would I jeopardize my ticket. I was just testing my antenna. I just want to learn code and be a good ham. kc8ktn/chuck.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »

Transmitting without ID-ing? How many laws are you going to break and admit to on the internet?
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:58 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought he might have learned something from the "General Test" thread... but apparently not.

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »

Well again there are so many do gooders around here. I am not going to hit the tunning button again. Getting my general tomorrow. Again not trying to start any trouble. Just wanted to know why the light flickered . Again I hear cussing on local repeaters from the self appointed repeater cops themselves . I have heard cussing on the 80 meter band. Last night i heard a war going on for ten minutes which I heard the f bomb 10 times between the two along with other words.Where are the ham police then.Again I did not just get my ticket yesterday almost twelve years now and I dont want trouble but I will not be a welcome matt for everyone to make there judgement calls against me. To all who have helped with advice thanks.
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd rather hear a legally licensed operator curse up a storm than hear an unlicensed operator transmit ANYTHING.

"almost twelve years now"

Twelve years and you still don't know the rules... that says something.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »

VA3DXV so you have never done anyhting against the law ever. You have never speeded or anything. Never got a ticket never done anything wrong ever. Nothing I would bet not. All I am saying is back off. Oh I know the excuse you would use when speeding everybodys doing it.Again dont want trouble but I dont want to hear you preach.I have heard many hams state I started in cb in the 7os and would brag about the illegal power they ran. I know personally of a local ham/ do gooder that he used to run illegal power in the day. But now he preaches of the ham rules.I guess his answer will be everybody was doing it. Again this will be resolved tomorrow and will not hit the tunning button again. Everyone take care. Most hams know this is the truth I speak if they dont they are lying to themselfs. kc8ktn/chuck.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »

I just dont want to hear preaching from people that are not perfect themselfs.I want to follow the rules and will. But if I were to preach to everyone that breaks the rules I would get told to mind my own buisness. Again before preaching to me could everyone of you out here take the same thing someone preaching to you when you break an infraction and that doesnt just mean ham radio.Again everyone dont take this as I want to argue but I will not take advice from people who do not live up to the same advice as they are giving me. Everyone take care. kc8ktn/chuck.
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

VA3DXV so you have never done anyhting against the law ever. You have never speeded or anything. Never got a ticket never done anything wrong ever.

Hey, I'm perfectly imperfect just like everyone else. I do however respect 99% of the rules 99% of the time. The times I don't, I am either trying to prove a point, or simply had a brain fart.

The difference though is I don't invite the criticism by making an ass out of myself on the internet.

Think about it, you just told everyone you transmitted illegally... WTF do you expect on here?

As for your problem, wind a current choke in the coax where it joins the ladder line, and leave it outside of the shack.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:23:00 AM by Brian » Logged
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »

Nathan what is a lid. How big of coil shouuld I make in the line outside  I will just wait till tomorrow or Sunday because I can not check it till then.And to the gentlemen who follows rules  99% of the time so your saying that 1% of the time you can break the rules as you said to prove your point that is ok??? You typed it I didnt. Everyone take care.73
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »

Right on . Take care and 73. Again thanks  and look forward to talking to everyone on hf. Really to be honest when the light flickered I thought of to much rf in the shack and thought it would be dangerous for people in the garage where my shack is. Going out to get my daughter here in a couple of weeks with my new Granddaughter and did not want to expose her to anything dangerous . In warmer weather we play darts in the garage and put our picnic table in there.Do many family events out there. My daughter will be staying with us for a year while my son in law goes over to Iraq for a year he is in the air force.To all take care and 73..
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »

And to the gentlemen who follows rules  99% of the time so your saying that 1% of the time you can break the rules as you said to prove your point that is ok???

No, I didn't say it was OK. You are the one that seems to think that. As I said, the difference is I don't come to a forum like this and invite the criticism by showing my complete ignorance to the rules. You can rest assured that if I did, I would accept full responsibility, instead of shooting off my mouth by calling everyone "do gooder preachers" or whatever you were trying to say.

You even came at me with accusations of using "everyone does it" as an excuse (I didn't), and then you attempted to justify YOUR own actions by basically saying "well I heard so and so do this on 80 meters so I am not that bad". So who is the hypocrite here?

I just find you enormously amusing. I think you like the attention.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »

Two wrongs don't make a right.

"Everybody else was doing it" is no excuse. (Try it on a cop sometime). Kids use that excuse all the time - and it doesn't work.

Yes, some hams misbehave on the air. That's not a reason for any of us to do it.

One of the ways we hams self-police is that we point out violations - intentional or not. It may be preaching to you but that doesn't make it wrong.

Tuning up without IDing is a violation, and others will point it out. They're doing the right thing.

---

Here's what makes a good ham:

1) Knowing, following and respecting FCC rules and good amateur practice. All of them, all the time, no exceptions. This includes non-amateur radio services as well.

2) Learning from mistakes - both one's own and those of others.

3) Respecting other hams. This includes things like using available resources (like google) *before* asking questions on forums. And listening to what more-experienced amateurs have to say rather than arguing.

4) Most of all, it's an attitude. Like being a good neighbor, a courteous driver, a good citizen. Setting a good example rather than using others' misbehavior as an excuse.

Good luck tomorrow.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »

With your opinion you said when you post it in a forum expect critism. So that would hold true if you break the rules in public the same rule would aply hence forth if I see you breaking a rule or anyone else sees you breaking a rule  in public that gives me or anyone the right to tell you about it and set you straight.I am not disagreeing with what you said . I agree it was wrong to hit the tuner button. I stated i would not do it anymore.I suppose when you got a new car you never went over the speed limit a little to see how the car performed breaking the law in the mean time. Again I was worried about the extra hf in the shack and it bieng safe as I stated before.Again i just want ti get along and not argue but again I will not take bieng pushed around. Take care  and is it safe to take small children in the shack when lights did flicker and also since I am going to be in the hf  hobby is there a good rf meter that anyone could recomend to check safe rf levels. chuck/kc8ktn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: