Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent Keys  (Read 930 times)
NK6Q

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »

I'm eyeing one of the Kent straight keys, specifically the KT1 with the black painted steel base (my birthday's coming up).

Anybody have personal experience with these keys?
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »

I have a Kent single-lever paddle, which uses a similar bearing block (mine is not adjustable, unlike the current-production straight key and double paddle).  There's _just barely perceptible_ drag in the bearings -- but there's no play at all, and the lever feels rock-solid as it moves.  The bearings would be fine in a straight key.

The Kent steel-base straight key has a nice stiff brass lever, good bearings, good contacts, and a heavy base that reaches to right underneath the knob (as it should).  It's priced reasonably, for what it is.  What more do you want?<g>

Charles
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:36:11 AM »

I have the Kent Hand Key (I got the kit) which appears to be the same key mechanism as the KT1 only on a wooden base. It is very well made with a solid feel but I find that because of the wooden base it is a bit noisy (I think that the base acts as a resonator so it clicks quite loudly). The KT1 should be a lot quieter because of the steel base.

Be aware that these keys are really designed for the European style of sending (ie elbow off of the table) rather than the American style of sending (elbow on the table) so the knob sits up quite high. Make sure that you are ok with this style of sending before ordering the key.

This key should last a life time.

Michael VE3WMB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: