Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-480 & Windows 7  (Read 1822 times)
N7KFD

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »

Last night I purchased a new laptop for the shack (Asus K50) which has no com ports only USB, and Windows 7. I have a COM to USB adapter and installed the software for it. I am trying to run Kenwoods ARCP-480 software but get a message saying that the baud rate on the radio does not match the software. I am computer literate and have tried changing the baud rate in the ARCP software, radio and for the USB port but it will not connect. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
KP4HE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »

You have to change the settings on the Radio's Menu or change the baud rate on the Hardware of the computer.(COM X) X= the com port automaticaly assigned to the USB to Serial port converter.  Make sure you have the USB to Serial connected to do this. It's simple.  
Make sure you use a stright 9 pin serial cable (it must have all 9 wires and not just 5 as most)It might work with 5 as the TS-480 doesn't use pins 1, 4, 6, 9.  
The default for the TS-480 is 4800 but you can also change it on menu #56  from 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200.  The slower speeds work best.  You will be sending short data packets over that cable.  No need of faster speeds.
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »

I've actually been through all that. Double checked the settings for the com/usb port and the baud rate on the radio vs the software. Also tried different com port numbers to see if that would make a difference. My old laptop was a Dell Latitude D600 and I'm starting to wonder if the new USB 2 ports are talking to fast? Starting to grasp at straws here.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »

I've had lots of fun chasing down settings for RTS and DTR, which should _also_ match between the rig's expectations and what the COM port settings are.

It's possible that a DTR/RTS problem is being reported as a "non-matching baud rate" problem.

Charles
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

Hi All,
Go into the Device Manager and check the comport, you will need to know the number for the radio software. Set the speed (Baud Rate) and use 8.N,1. Open the radio software and in the setup menu "Set" the previously noted Comport number and baud rate. HTH
Rob WA9UAA
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

I discovered the problem. The software was communicating with the serial adapter instead of the radio. Picked up an Edgeport/4 (four port USB to serial adapter) on eBay for $25 and now it works great!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »

I am glad it worked out. I just got a new laptop, and am concerned about the USB to serial adapter. It appears that many of them do not have the proper Windows 7 drivers. The ones that do, might not have the 64 bit version.

So, I am trying this:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

I am using it for my Yaesu FT-950 and HRD. Hopefully, it will work.
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

N4NYY -
I actually didn't have a problem with HRD, it connected and worked great. I like the HRD log book but not the rig control interface so I wanted to stay with Kenwoods version and that's where I ran into trouble.

If your going to use HRD I don't suspect you'll have any issues. I would make sure that whatever adapter you use has Windows 7 drivers.

Hope it works out,
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: