Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 718  (Read 410 times)
KJ4SOE

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »

i am using an icom 718 with a icom ah4 tuner. in the icom radio book it says that i can make the default setting ; ptt to tune.  just wondering will it automatically tune instantly when i hit the mic key to transmit.  new to ham and equipment
thank you,
randy
KJ4SOE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »

from kj4soe, not k4jsoe.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »

I _think_ that "PTT to tune" will start tuning when you _speak_ into the mic (with the PTT button pressed).

Without talking, in SSB mode, you're not generating any RF output, and the AH-4 can't measure your SWR.

But say "Ahhhhhh . . . ", and a tuning cycle should start.

[I know this works with the SGC autotuners and most LDG autotuners; the AH-4 uses similar principles.]

Charles
W7MJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »

I used to have an IC-718/AH4 system. If I remember correctly, when set up to tune on ptt, simply pushing the press-to-talk button on the microphone will generate a low power carrier (regardless of the selected mode) and initiate a tuning cycle. Once tuned in this way, no further tuning cycles will be initiated, unless the frequency is changed by more than a certain amount. There's no need, with this system, set up in this way, to speak into the mike to start the tuning cycle; simply pressing the ptt button does the trick. At least that's the way I remember it. In any case, the tune indicator on the rig should let you know what's happening. 73, Martin, W7MJM
W6HB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »

W7MJM is correct.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »

I'll try again.  I answered this question under your original post  under the call K4JSOE / installation troubleshooting.

Now, the high voltage terminal on the AH-4 should connect to the bottom of the insulated backstay. The ground terminal near the input coax should be connected to the ground system you have setup as the counterpoise. THE TWO METAL FEET ARE NOT ELECTRICALLY CONNECTO ANYTHING.

Power for the tuner comes thru the control cable from the radio.

While recieving, the meter shows signal strength. When you transmit, it will show one of several measurerments, POWER, SWR, ALC. But, only one at a time. See the manual to learn how to set the "Meter Function".

When you transmit, the POWER meter will be "Zero" when you are not talking, but will show output power level when you speak. In a natural voice, hold a syllable like "ahhhhhh" and check the power level. If the antenna is tuned, and power is set to "100 Watts" you should see Full Scale reading of POWER.

If the metter is showinbg "SWR" then when you transmit and hold the "Ahhhhh", you should see almnost no bars on the meter if the antenna is tuned, or several to many 'bars' if not tuned.

This should get you atarted on using your radio.

One word of caution. You are on a boat. Corrosion, dirty contacts etc are your worst enemy AND a constant neighbor. Keep all connections clean, fresh and protected as much as possible to avoid problems and you will enjoy many years of fun with your radio. And, it may save you life.

...bc nr4c
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »

I _think_ that "PTT to tune" will start tuning when you _speak_ into the mic (with the PTT button pressed).

Without talking, in SSB mode, you're not generating any RF output, and the AH-4 can't measure your SWR.

But say "Ahhhhhh . . . ", and a tuning cycle should start.

[I know this works with the SGC autotuners and most LDG autotuners; the AH-4 uses similar principles.]

Charles

You are guessing, and wrong.

In the scenario described by the OP, the radio will initiate its tune cycle (which automatically uses a low power steady carrier) when you cause the radio to transmit on a new band segment.

Owen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: