Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuba QSL gone bad twice!  (Read 2091 times)
N5XTR

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »

I received a QSL from a station in Cuba about a month ago for a 30 meter psk63 QSO.  I promptly returned a card with appropriate postage.  One week later I receive my card back in a plastic bag.  My QSL had been torn in half with the stamp side gone.  I sent another QSL the next day and about a week later my QSL was returned again torn in half, stamp side missing.  
The Cuban's card had something like "Five Men for Liberty" in spanish over a picture of five guys with a background of a Cuban flag.  
I cannot remember the call exactly but I am wondering if this is a political problem or just the post office screwing up.  Has anyone else had this problem with a DX card?

Joel - N5XTR
SKCC #6417
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »

Normally, when you get a damaged piece of mail in a plastic bag, there is some message, either printed on the bag or on an enclosure stating that the postal service sorting machine "ate" part of the item, etc. etc.

I think your question would be better addressed to your local postal people. I dont think that anyone is intentionally trashing your cards.  Interesting that it would happen twice, tho....  I assume this was a DIRECT to Cuba mailing, rather than to a QSL manager, located (where?).  Gene
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »

I forgot to mention the ink stamp on the remains of the cards.  Of course the Return to Sender, and Insufficient Contents.  Pretty weird I say.  
The cards were Direct as per the info on QRZ and the Card I received.
The call is CO2WL.
"Libertad para los Cinco"
www.antiterroristas.cu

I never looked at the website.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:36:16 AM »

I worked CO2WL on a 1 Jan 2009 on 20 meters PSK31. I just got the card a few days ago. I sent the card direct with an IRC. On the front is "Prisionerios del Imperio" and on the rear the "www.antiterroristas.cu". It came in an envelope from the "Cuba DX Group" and bears the stamp. It has his email as:

his callsign @jovenclub.cu

WD0MYM
X-KB0TVL
Jon
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:45:53 AM »

Just so I am not confused, they sent you the Cuban card first and you sent one back, or were you the first one to send the card wanting one back? If that is the case, what did you use for postage? Did you use greenstamps or IRC?

Jon
WD0MYM
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »

My gut feeling is that this is some political fervor crossing over to Ham Radio. Not necessarily by the hams but local postal officials in some areas are not necessarily open-minded.

Could be as trivial as you having a US flag on your QSL card.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:33 AM »

send one via the buro.
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:06:30 AM »

I received a card from them first.
QSL instructions are direct only.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »

Your pretty lucky that they sent you a card (I find that interesting). I have Cuba on the rig everyday being in Missouri. You did the best you could. Direct does work to Cuba, sometimes. I do have a couple in the last few months. Otherwise, look for Cuba stations with managers in other countries. I like getting the cards from Cuba, some are quite interesting. Some have some really nice pictures on them!!

WD0MYM
X-KB0TVL
Jon
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Five

Notice the link above, has something in common with the five guys pictured on the card. Did some web surfing!

Jon
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »

Sounds like you didn't put you card in an envelope. Try again, but use envelope. Go to post office and have them put meter stamp on it.  That might work.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:58:33 AM »

I would try a different post office or have someone mail it in a different city.
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »

I always put my cards in envelopes.  I have the nice colorphoto cards and would hate to have one messed up by a machine.  I have received some beautiful cards that weren't in envelopes, a few were a little messed up.  I finally looked at their website so I now know what the cuban five are about.  I will send them another card but in a puffy envelope this time.  If that one comes back torn up also I think the PO owes me an explanation and some cash.

Joel - N5XTR
KQ7W

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »

I got that card, I thought it was hilarious, I kept the hand made envelope it came in too, nice souvenir
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »

I think I now know what happened with the returned cards. I too got cards from CO2WL and decided to send one of mine to him direct last December. Today it was returned by the post office in Havana.

I looked him up again on QRZ.COM and found that he now has a qsl manager in Hungary. Apparently he no longer has the PO box in Havana, so the post office has been sending mail back as undeliverable.

Dave
N6ORB
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: