Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Test bewilderment  (Read 5404 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »

Nice thing about ham radio, there's something for everybody here.

Yep, there sure is!

But I have difficulty understanding why code should be a requirement when I have had so many older hams tell me, "In my heyday I could do 35 wpm (or substitute any other speed you want), but now I doubt I could do 5 wpm.  I haven't done CW in years."

So if it is not important to these guys, why should it be important to me?

Why not ask them?

On the other hand, I know a number of hams that CW is their favorite mode of operation... and that's cool, too.  I just don't see making it a requirement again.  Nor do I think dropping the code requirement has hurt ham radio.

I don't think there's any real chance that code tests will come back.

But consider this:

If a person has a specific interest in ham radio - say, working CW on the low end of 40 meters with QRP tube gear - s/he will have to learn a considerable amount about other subjects that have no bearing on what the person is really interested in. Much of that stuff may be forgotten in a short time, too.

At the same time, the tests will not cover large amounts of stuff the ham will need to know in order to pursue his/her interest.

Does that mean testing shouldn't be required except in the specific areas a person has an interest?

73 de Jim, N2EY
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »

At the same time, the tests will not cover large amounts of stuff the ham will need to know in order to pursue his/her interest.

Does that mean testing shouldn't be required except in the specific areas a person has an interest?

The only agency granting USA amateur radio licenses, any class, is the FCC.  The FCC determines - in the final say - what should be in a licensing test.

Note: While the COLEMs and VECs write the test question and answer contents, final approval or disapproval is with the FCC.

Normal USA amateur radio license terms are 10 years.  A whole decade if open for any licensee to determine - by themselves - which OPTIONAL mode or OPTIONAL activity they engage themselves in regards to amateur radio.

Contrary to popular opinion among some folk, one does not sign on for life and remain rooted in the mode and activity desired on passing their first amateur radio license test.  Neither is one "required" to do exactly as the ARRL dictates every week or month or year.  It is within the power of the individual to (horrors!) actually change their mind later if they (inidividually) want to!

Len K6LHA
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: