Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Laptop for Control and Logging  (Read 395 times)
KB3NCV

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »

I would like some opinions and suggestions on choosing a laptop for radio control and logging. It would be a dedicated unit for radio only. Also, what would I need to interface the computer with my radios? I notice the serial port for RS232 devices is not on laptops. Do you need a docking device or is there a USB adapter available? I am new to radio so any help would be appreciated!!!!!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:33:44 AM »

Most logging and control programs will successfully work with USB-Serial adapter devices.  With this scenario, you can have several of these devices running from your USB port(s)/hub.

Dennis KG4RUL
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »

Decide what software you want to use first. Some of the older DOS software will run on almost anything but some of the newer more elaberate software needs more proccesser power and memory. I use DX LAB. It was very slow with a pentium 1 laptop, fair but still slow with a 233 mhz desktop, and works fine with a 2.6 gig desktop with 256 meg of mem. I also have a 600 meg laptop and it works OK on it. If I were buying a laptop for the newer software I would want something that runs at 1.6 gig or higher and has a minimum of 256 meg of memory.(preferably 512 meg of mem) If you watch for sales you can buy a new one for $500 to $800. Older laptops suitable for the older software are available at Ham Fests for $25 and up. Good Luck; Don WD8PTB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: