Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy load antenna?  (Read 707 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »

Has anyone ever had a qso while using a dummy load?(either for transmitting only or both receiving/transmitting)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »

Sure, lots of people have.

If I use my Bird load with double-shielded coax and type N connectors, then, no.  It's just too well shielded.

But with my "MFJ" 300W load and ordinary RG58A/U or RG8X connected (using PL-259 connectors), I've worked Iowa from here in Los Angeles on 20m CW.  I'm sure others have done much "better" (farther).
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »

Steve,

Maybe there should be a certificate for WAS, etc on a dummy load.  Imagine the reduction in QRM.  ;o)

Terry, WØFM
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »

I used to work a ham a half mile away on 10 meter AM running a 25 watt light bulb for an antenna.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »

One could also qualify by running one of several devices marketed as HF antennas. A claim to low SWR edge to edge on all bands might be considered a reasonable description of a dummy load.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »

Ted(W4YJC)& I have done it several times on 6 meters in the last 2 years or so.At the time we lived about a mile apart but are NOW about 2 miles or more & have NOT tried it again.He was using a DRY dummy load & I was using an OIL FILLED dummy load.

CLAYTON
W4KVW
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »

Ted(W4YJC)& I have done it several times on 6 meters in the last 2 years or so.At the time we lived about a mile apart but are NOW about 2 miles or more & have NOT tried it again.He was using a DRY dummy load & I was using an OIL FILLED dummy load.

CLAYTON
W4KVW

Clayton,

Your Oil Filled Dummy Load should perform much better as your signal will be slipperyer and, therefore, go further.

Terry

(The spell checker passed slipperyer, so I'm stickin' with it)
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »

Hooked up a 80m Isotron for giggles once,
was 15db down from a 50' piece un-terminated coax laying on the ground tuned with a mfj-949...Made QSO's on the coax I couldn't on the Iso-load. Funny thing, 949 in dummy load position heard better than the isotron...
Go figure.
73 Greg
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »

Yup. I think the actual radiation and reception was from the current flowing on the shield of my coax from the rig coax output to the Non-Inductive Resistor in the Dummy, though.Unbalanced line to balanced load, etc. I've run twinlead FROM MY MATCHING NETWORK, to the load, and NOT had the cross town/ test QSO

Probably some contest for most/longest DL QSO's; winner no doubt with the longest, highest coax to the DL!
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »

Several years ago there was a guy that had a letter published in QST regarding this subject.  It seems the guy had forgotten to switch from his oil-filled dummy load to his main antenna during a contest.  His dummy load was something like 40 years old, and he was on 10 meters if I remember correctly.  It seems he worked a guy several states away, I think on CW, so yes, it can be done.  You would be surprised at what will radiate a signal into the ionosphere.  I used to have an old Cobra 146GTL SSB C.B. back in high school before I passed my ham license in the early 90's when the sunspot cycle was alive and well.  I can remember talking to stations on the other side of the country from my home in central Kentucky.  This was done with a legal CB putting out 12 Watts and a Radio Shack mobile CB antenna mounted on a metal folding table in the basement of my parents' home.  It still makes me chuckle to this day that it worked, but it did.  My brother used to mount a 10 meter magnetic mobile antenna in a horizontal configuration to the metal doors of the closet of his upstairs bedroom and we worked plenty of DX with it back in the 90's.  We had even tried mounting the thing on about a 1 foot x 1 foot metal air conditioning duct and even that worked fine.  Don't ask me how but the strangest things can happen when you are dealing with radios and antennas.

Mike KU4UV
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »

I used to talk to a guy in my hometown on CB using my Cobra 142GTL and a dummy load just for kicks. The other locals farther away were bewildered who the guy was talking to! They thought he was ghost talking! LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: