Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4NEC2 Antenna Modeling Software  (Read 1355 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2004, 11:53:01 AM »

Does anyone here have experience using this free antenna modeling program? What do you think of it?
N2KIN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 12:15:05 AM »

I tried it at one of my friend's house...it looks like to be a very powerful program to model antennas an dgives projections of your signal, but takes great effort to understand and get a hold of it...hihi
KC2ELS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 11:28:32 PM »

4NEC2 has a *huge* learning curve, for lots of reasons.

The first and biggest one is that the code was written long ago in FORTRAN.  Data files were designed for punch cards (I'm not kidding) with a very unfriendly interface which has zero tolerance for errors.  Data output is... a bunch of numbers.  Great for hardcore engineers, I guess, but it doesn't mean much to me.

http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/swindex.html is an excellent archive of NEC-related code.  You should find some GUI frontends that may work for you, and someone's even ported the code to C which makes it easier to build.
4NEC2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 11:59:39 AM »

Not quite,

4nec2 is a GUI front-end for the original Fortran based Nec2 core.

See www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/swindex.html for some picures.

p.s. You could use 'Geometry edit' (See Help) to create a model without having to know about the Nec2 syntax.

Success,
Arie.  

KB3LME

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »

Great software package ... especially 4nec2x with the 3D display capability. I'm fairly new to modeling antennas, but with a little practice, I'm becoming quite proficient at using this execellent tool.

You can not go wrong by using it. Like anything, it just takes a little practice at getting used to it.

And amazingly ... the tool is absolutely free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: