Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something that is 100% lost on me...........  (Read 1082 times)
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »

>do I replace the speakers with efficient box speakers

Well of course... Smiley
If you have the room and XYL doesn't mind I see some "new" speakers in your future Smiley

I do have a pair of Altec Lansing "Flamengo"  and the best part is not the sound. It's the fact my XYL actually likes the way they look !!!

PS: Nothing like an audio discussion to bring the asylum inmates out of the woodwork Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:07:40 PM by Dimitri Patakidis » Logged
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 02:12:34 AM »

PushPull 845s should take care of that!

Or, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/155196-sachiko-builld-thread-5.html

I had to find a custom cabinet maker to order 4X8 sheets of 3/4 inch maple plywood so that I can build my own.  The fullrange speakers are en-route from Canada.  the plywood, coming from NC should be in this week.

I picked up some 24" C-clamps from Harbour Freight Sat.

Course, your wife might not like 6 foot speakers?
I bought some Walnut burl veneer for the front panels.

I've been a widower for 6 years now.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »

So many speakers to chose from. A new amp would be easier so I can use the Magnepan MMG speakers I have. I'll see what I can find in a nice but not too expensive amp. And not a switching amp either. If I wasn't so lazy I'd design and build my own like I used to, but since I am I won't.

I don't listen to music anyway. CW is my music. The stereo is for my wife to have some noise going.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »

My wife loved CW.  
I like acid rock and blues.

She didn't like to hear the CW I like.

Head phones solved both CW problems.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »

I decided to keep the Magnepan MMG speakers and ordered an Adcom amp that will drive the maggies at 200 watt per channel. That outta do it.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »

>I have no clue what you are talking about, OM.

...look it up already  Smiley

Do you say that to someone that comes up to you in pucblic and asks you a question? Do you tell them "Go look it up"?
I ask a simple question and you come up with a snide reply. Typcal ham i guess. No wonder new people are turned off to the older guys and the hobby altogether.
And we bemoan that the hobby is dying................
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 01:58:59 AM »

There was no question. There was a remark.
While sitting in front of the computer, pasting what you had "no clue" about into a search engine would have taken less keystrokes.

I have acute aversion to the "no clue" phrase.
(Posts in the elmers forum don't always trigger my aversion-But it depends)

I did include a smiley face at the end of my message so that hopefully you will catch what I just explained and not have to explain it like I just did.

That's the explanation of what my so called snide reply meant and where it came from.

Now on to new business:
"Typical Ham". You pegged me  That's me. Mr Typical  himself Smiley LOL Smiley
As for new people getting turned off and the hobby is dying .... Oh no!!! Not again!!!!
You seem to be hang up on the death of ham radio and the behavior of everything CB and like Pee Wee Herman would say: "And I don't know why!!!"

As for people getting turned off....genuine interest and desire is not something you can turn off. It's like asking a bird not to sing - wait...that's from a country song somewhere...
Oh yea...it's like asking Niagara not to fall !!!! Smiley

CB bashing on the other hand is an entirely different matter. ie. Enough already Smiley
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »

Rude hams and crusty curmudgeons are what turn off people to the hobby. However im NOT going anywere soon, so for the hams on here that hate me, well too bad!
Ive had an interest in radio since i was like a kid, and yes that includes the things most hams hate like FRS, SWL, CB, and scanners.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: