Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something that is 100% lost on me...........  (Read 1203 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »

In CB circles the blatant use of the word "radio technician".
Almost every CB shop owner has what he calls a "radio technician" when all the guy is is a hack CB op that uses a crappy dosy wattmeter and other cheap junky gear. Most of these clowns dont even have a high school diploma!
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »

Why worry about CB OM?

My roses are blooming.
I bought a dwarf peach tree; already dug the hole; just need to pick up some fencing to keep the pack rats and Javelena away from it.
I found a source for inexpensive Siemans EF93 that seem to sound better than the Brimars I've been using in my rebuilt Dynaco FM-3 tuner.

I tapped the hole on my favorite solderin iron so that I can install a new tip.  I broke the old tip off while trying to remove it.

I bought some Aspergus on sale for $1.00 a lb.  I'll have some of that with the chicken I'm baking; brown rice with gravy made from the chicken drippings also.

Two great articles on eHam.

Sunshine; blue sky; temps in the upper 70s and lower 80s.

Rattle snakes aren't out yet.  So I can walk all around my property and not have to poke under every clump of Buffalo grass and bushes.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

K9FON you have to get into the head of a CBer, so to speak. Imagine you get hit on the head, forget most of what you know, and your IQ drops by 40 points. You can now be happy as a CBer.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »

You ain't gotta thing
if you ain't got
that SHAWIIINGGG
hehe
73 Greg
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »

"I found a source for inexpensive Siemans EF93 that seem to sound better than the Brimars I've been using in my rebuilt Dynaco FM-3 tuner."

I have no clue what you are talking about, OM.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »

I found some '61 dated RCA 6ba6's seem to work OK
G
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »

>>"I found a source for inexpensive Siemans EF93 that seem to sound better than the Brimars I've been using in my rebuilt Dynaco FM-3 tuner."

>I have no clue what you are talking about, OM.

...look it up already  Smiley

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

I'd say, "Who cares?" ;-)
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »

Hi Hi
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »

K9FON can you support your allegations with hard data? A survey of a few dozen CB shops, demographics, educational history, and so on.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »

As long as the CB shop isn't selling SWR grease they are legit.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »

I bought a Dynaco FM-3 stereo tuner and rebuilt it. All new resistors, just cause I like to solder, new capacitors in the audio circuit, rebuilt the power supply capacitors, added modules to improve the FM section, and then started trying different tubes to improve its sound.

I think it's a much better use of my time than worrying about CBers or dealers selling illegal stuff to CBers.

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »

W7ETA I like tube audio too. We moved a year ago and the ribbon speakers don't produce enough audio with the 15 W tube amp (Dynaco 35 I rebuilt with my own circuit is 1983). The room is too big. The decision to make now is do I replace the speakers with efficient box speakers or do I buy a big solid state amp?

The weather is nice here.

I'm installing an Ameritron ALS-500 amp in the Smart Car today.

Then installing a better 20 meter antenna on the Smart Car.

I work only CW. DX from the car on 20 meters is great.

I have a Yaesu FT-817 on order for portable and field day use.

The robin sings at dawn.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »

Why worry about CB OM?

'zactly.

It's a fine spring day here in EPA after a long snowy winter. Early blooms are up, kids down the street are selling lemonade, bikers and runners are out, and I got a ride in a red convertible this morning.

Sure, cb is still out there. Somewhere. But while Amateur Radio continues to grow, (over 676,000 current licensed US hams as of yesterday), cb has pretty much disappeared in these parts.

I mean, I can't remember the last time I saw a car, light truck or home with a working cb antenna on it. (A few homes have rusty relics from the 1970s, but the obviously absent coax says they haven't been used in years).

I know of exactly one shop that sells and repairs cb sets in the entire Philly metro area. The local Microcenter computer store carries lots of magazines, including CQ, but nothing on cb.

So don't worry about it.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »

>The room is too big. The decision to make now is do I replace the speakers with efficient box speakers or do I buy a big solid state amp?
---
Pair of Altec VOT A5's ought to get the job done :-)
You did say you had a BIG room.
Even single ended 6v6's will light up a small auditorium with A5's.
Greg
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: