Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a Priest????  (Read 426 times)
KF6BKA

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:38:35 PM »

Do I need a Priest?Huh    
I have a computer that was scratch built by others instead of me. When I turn the power switch on it sits there and give me long beeps. I don't know if this is fatal or not. Any thoughts?

Rich
kf6bka@arrl.net  
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:04:08 AM »

I don't know what version of BIOS you are using, but you might try this website --

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Good luck!
Scott N0IU
WB2GOF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »

A computer will bee like this when it has a bad CPU or bad memory.  Try checking both of these.  MAybe they are not seated correctly.
KC6ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:48:56 PM »

WB2GOF is correct. And also permutations on those problems.

I've worked on PCs for more than 15 years, and I have seen all sorts of variations on this kind of thing.

Also, can happen if the amount or kind or pairing of memory that the BIOS/motherboard do not support are installed (for example, more memory than the BIOS can handle).

Also some computers will not boot if keyboard is not connected (or bad cable).

Some computers (not recent modern ones, but it sounds like your is not a standard one; some older Compaqs had this problem) wont boot if the hard drive is not connected or is bad.

(If you are not familiar with the following operations, get someone who is to help you.)

Do this: Power off. Disconnect power cable. Disconnect all peripherals. Reseat all memory sticks, all cards (PCI or whatever you have), the CPU chip if feasible; disconnect then reconnect the keyboard and video cables, leave all other cables disconnected. Plug in power cable. Turn power on. Check if power supply fan is rotating.

You may need to repeat and reseat power supply cables.

If you have another keyboard/monitor handy, try them too.

Good luck.
joe/kc6zzt
KC2FTN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:17:04 AM »

Mine was doing the same thing, and the guy at Staples told me that I needed a new 'Memory Stick' or RAM. I shelled-out the $50 and that's what it was. Works perfect now. Also, while you have your computer apart, blow all of the dust out of it with a can of air.

Mike KC2FTN
     www.hamwave.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: