Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callsign lookup  (Read 1848 times)
WK0F

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »

Has anyone created a callsign lookup using the standard uls database from the fcc?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »

If you were running a Mac with OSX 10.4, you could have a "widget" that does just that on your desktop. Smiley

Don't know about PC stuff.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:22:58 PM »

I myself have found that the one on QRZ.com is more accurate.

i built one two weeks ago using the fcc database, and i had it all going, until i looked up my own call.
that thing was months behind.
so, i just use qrz.. much easier.

kevin
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »

Use the Buckmaster HamCall lookup, linked to the FCC's, at  www.buck.com
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:38:35 PM »

<< I myself have found that the one on QRZ.com is more accurate. >>

No it's not. Fred over at QRZ.com is infamous for deleting calls from his database of those hams who offend him. This is well known.

<<i built one two weeks ago using the fcc database, and i had it all going, until i looked up my own call.
that thing was months behind. >>

BS. The FCC database is the most accurate of all. It is updated daily. Every other call sign database starts with a download of the data from the FCC's database.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »

it's not BS Lon.
that is exactly what happened.
I downloaded the data from the FCC website, and it was off., way off !! months off !!

kevin rea
k6rea
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:08:58 PM »

W3LK wrote, "Fred over at QRZ.com is infamous for deleting calls from his database of those hams who offend him. This is well known."

So what? He owns it and it cost nothing for you to use it. He is not obligated to put anything there. Even if you look up someone that he has deleted, there is still a link to their information on the FCC database.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 06:35:02 AM »

<< it's not BS Lon.
that is exactly what happened.
I downloaded the data from the FCC website, and it was off., way off !! months off !! >>

Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it.

Your program may have been months off, but the FCC database is not. It is updated daily, except for weekends, and every other database uses the daily downloads as the data for their databases. If what you say were true, then every single call sign database would be months off, and they are not and neither is the FCC database.

You are not going to find another call sign database operator to support your allegation.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »

<< W3LK wrote, "Fred over at QRZ.com is infamous for deleting calls from his database of those hams who offend him. This is well known."

So what? He owns it and it cost nothing for you to use it. He is not obligated to put anything there. Even if you look up someone that he has deleted, there is still a link to their information on the FCC database>>

Please go back and read the preceeding post before jumping on me. The statement was made that the QRZ.com database was the most accurate. I simply refuted that statement with a known fact.

I made no judgement on Fred's actions, one way or another. You are correct, it's his database and he can do what he wants with it, but no one should hold it up as the standard against which to judge the FCC's database.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

W5OKL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 07:08:06 AM »

I perfer this one:
http://callsign.ualr.edu/callsign.shtml
-or-
go to http://www.trx-manager.com and look in the Freeware section for a program called FCC_Call By Laurent Labourie F6DEX.  It will allow you to DL the FCC database and build a DB on your computer without connecting to the internet.  One problem with it though is that it will not display club call signs.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »

Hi Terry,
well, putting all the bickering and stuff aside.,
if you would like a fcc call database program, i would be happy to build one for you.
databases is what i do for a living for northrop grumman., but now, i am home on disability, and i have time to do one.

it won't cost you anything.

let me know.

kevin rea
k6rea
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 02:39:07 PM »

Hey Terry,

I made a program for you based on the FCC Callsign Database.

you can download it at:
http://www.hamlogbook.com/#fcccallsign

it is about 35mb in size.

let me know if it works ok for you.

kevin
k6rea
WK0F

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 07:43:14 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I will check out the freeware program from trx manager.

Terry, WK0F
KD8CDG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 10:09:59 AM »

Hmmm, Lets all think about this for a moment...
I (we) studied for and applied to the FCC for an amateur radio operators license. The FCC granted me (us) this (these) said license(s).
The FCC controls the issuing of licenses and regulation of the bands I (we) use. So tell me again why would I (we) refer to some other website like QRZ to use their license search feature? When I know for a fact that FCC has the most current up to date factual information anywhere?
Sorry to implement incompetence to/for anyone other than myself but IF the information listed on the FCC website is inaccurate than I can only assume that the licensee has not updated their current information with the FCC using the forms provided or by using the ULS website. Which by the way is punishable by the FCC (not QRZ) to suspend your operating privileges until you update the information and see it listed on the FCC ULS website (not QRZ).
I’ll tell you the story about the wait for my privileges, I have the Firefox browser and I had every website with a call sign lookup feature in it’s own tab. I must have wore out my mouse that day but what website do you think listed it first? FCC. Now in the days that followed I found that it took three days for it to be listed on any other site. Now how can you convince me that QRZ is THE website that has the most up to date and accurate information about my license? Let me start by telling you to get more informed by reading the rules governing the amateur radio operator. When you are finished you will realize that you cannot.

As far as the call sign lookup software, the one found at http://www.trx-manager.com/fcc_call.htm is about the best out there being free. Yes it is going to take you some time to download the latest database from the FCC website (of course not QRZ!) and more time to have the program convert it but it is worth it because after it is said and done it is faster than any other free program out there period. It doesn’t come with a bloated log book that slows everything down and if you have Microsoft Excel or equivalent you can create your own separate log book. I suggest you get the stand alone version unless you have the TRX-Manager software installed but at the time of this writing since they store the stand alone version on the QSL.net website you won’t be able to get it since QSL.net has been down for some reason. OOOPS... I may just eat my own words there as I just downloaded it from QSL.net. I guess you will just have to try it and see for yourself.

Anyway, I just wish that people would inform themselves BEFORE opening up the mouth and inserting foot. It makes you look bad. I for one don’t like listening to, reading  or participating in this kind of human behavior but I did this time because it is something I am interested in (call sign software) and what I found was just silly and wrong and felt the need to re-inform this person.

Please just inform youself next time and be happy.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 04:51:00 AM »

Unless you have no access to the internet in your shack, or are operating from a portable/mobile location, QRZ will probably be your best source of Amateur call data.

How can I make this bold statement you say?  

Consider that unless you download the FCC ULS database every single day, your local copy will always be one or more days out-of-date.

CD based call sign lookup software is guaranteed to be out-of-date unless it has an on-line capability for incremental updates.

Yes, QRZ can be a couple days out-of-date for the very same reasons but, think of the time you save.

Dennis KG4RUL
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: