Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "remote control of station"  (Read 3705 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:59:51 AM »

My FT-950, SignaLinkUSB and laptop-computer are in my basement.
We have a desktop-computer and DSL-connection in our family-room.
Is there a way that I could control the basement set-up from the family-room's computer with a wired-connection between the computers?
I'm sure that I could do it wireless but I need to avoid that expense; still laid-off.
73 Jerry KM3K
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »

Ham Radio Deluxe, for one, provides reasonably complete control of the FT-950 with just a serial connection between the computer and the radio. Audio, both ways, is not provided, but that can be done over wires or via the Internet (Skype, etc.). Some care needs to be taken with a long microphone lead in an RF-rich environment, but it should be manageable. I've just begun controlling my 950 with HRD, and it's quite satisfactory and, in fact, makes up for some of the awkward 950 menu controls by providing sliders for direct control. (Output power, for instance, is under slider control on the HDR screen, without the need to use the menu on the 950.) It's not everything the 950 data unit is, but it's free software and an inexpensive cable. There are also dedicated devices for handling audio and mic control over a LAN. And I believe you can get more elaborate with remote control with HRD, but you're not running lines that far, and you're considering wires between the locations anyway.

I have encountered one issue with mic keying from HDR, which I'll ask for advice about in another post, but everything else is working okay, and this hasn't been a big problem for me, since I key off a foot switch. I have not yet tried to integrate digital modes in this set-up and will let others comment on that.

Be sure you obtain a straight serial connection and not a "null modem" serial connection.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »

Look into Windows Remote Desktop...You will need a computer network in your home, wired or wireless. Also, if you are looking at wirelessly networking only two or three XP machines, take a look at http://www.conniq.com/WinXPNetworking_wifi_direct_connection.htm to set up a secure "ad-hoc" network with out having to buy a router.

I do it here, and have run HF digital mode from my recliner... and all the radio equipment is 50 feet away!

Scott NA4IT
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »

Hmm...HRD...well, that's a thought; I do have 50' of RS232 cable.
I'm just not ready for HRD yet; still making my way thru getting Digipan/SignaLink to work with Vista on the laptop. That is a separate story; have to call SignaLink later today because the laptop is not following the script.

In case it helps with getting the two computers to converse peacefully, as mentioned above the laptop has Vista (32-bit) and the family-room desktop is an XP machine.

I've gone to the Conniq website but have no cash to spend.

Jerry KM3K FN10je
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »

I use Real VNC. I can sit down stairs and do every that can be done from the computer that is hooked to the Rig. I even have the same screens.

Its great for doing digital

my 2 cents
Lew Grin

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:10:27 AM »

Concerning RealVNC, of which I'd not heard about before, is the free-version adequate for your needs or did you get the $30-version or something more expensive?
73 Jerry KM3K
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »

I a, running both, the FREE on the XP computers and the $30.00 on the Windows 7 computers
SCARPAD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »

Can a serial cable between the radio and computer still work if one uses an adapter to USB on the computer side, I have no serial on any of my PC's
KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »

I use http://logemein.com to remotely control my ham shack computer.  They have a free version, but it does not transfer sound.  It works well for digital though.  The paid version does transfer sound pretty good.

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:02:23 AM »

With Ham Radio Deluxe version 5, you could have the main HRD program running on one computer (the one next to the radio) and the other programs running on any computer on your home TCP/IP network.  You just have to put the host name or IP address of the computer with the radio in the settings for the logbook, rotator, etc., on the other computer.

Doug, KG4LMZ
WK5H

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »

I'll throw a bone in here for IP-Sound for getting the sound from one computer to another.  I've tried Skype, and while it works, it just has a lot of unneeded "extras" that are always running in the background, plus, you have to get multiple Skype accounts.

Here's how I run remote rig, and maybe it will give ya some ideas.

I have a Mac Mini at home that controls my TS-480HX, runs IP-Sound, and Kenwood's remote radio program.
On my MacBook Pro, I have Kenwood's remote radio program's client, and IP-Sound.

All I have to do, is to VNC into my mac mini, fire up the Kenwood software and IP-Sound.  Then, from my macbook pro, either on my home network, or from anywhere on the internet, I can launch the Kenwood's client and IP-Sound, and I'm ready to receive and transmit on my rig at home.  IP-Sound is very clean, requires no username registration with any outside websites, and even when working remote rig from a hotel room, or family's house, the lag time is very minimal.  It's not quite like being directly in front of my machine, but, as close as I can come with the software I've tried in the past.

I've tried using HRD, and while it did work, it just always seemed like a whole lot of work to do what I wanted to do.  The way I have it setup now is MUCH cleaner and much more of a simple setup than HRD.  I do like HRD; it's a great program, and many like it.  I don't use it much, simply because there's just a whole lot it does that I never use.

Now, back when I used windows machines to do the same thing, the only difference was that I used just the normal Remote Desktop Protocol.  I'll give Microsoft this much; the RDP protocol is hands down the best remote control software I've used.  Far easier and faster than VNC that I now have to use since I've gone all Mac.

You could easily use RDP to control your desktop in your basement, and use IP-Sound to carry the audio back and forth, and I think it would work out nicely for you.

Keep in mind, when running over the internet, you'll need to setup your internet router at home to allow certain ports in for both IP-Sound and RDP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: