The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 718  (Read 7400 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »

Trying to hook up ham radio deluxe to icom 718 . I ordered the Item:USB CI-V CAT CT-17 Cable for Icom IC-718 IC-703 IC-7600 fromebay. I also downloaded version 4 . Now Iam reading for the usb version I ks.should use version 5 that is ham radio deluxe.Is this the right order or how exactly do I do this . Any help thanks
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »

Download Ham Radio Deluxe V5
Plug in the control cable
Install control cable software if applicable
plug cable into IC-718
open HRD V5
setup HRD for the IC-718

done.
K5EAG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »

I just downloaded HRD V4 and want to upgrade to the V5.  I can not find V5 anyplace....where and how do I download V5?
Bill - K5EAG
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »

I just downloaded HRD V4 and want to upgrade to the V5.  I can not find V5 anyplace....where and how do I download V5?
Bill - K5EAG

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/HRDv5.aspx

There are three v5 "builds" Chose a flavor, any flavor.
Most recent Beta Release on top. All v5 releases are Beta.

Hard to find? Go to HRD website, click "Downloads" on bar at top......
WB5LAI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 04:25:35 AM »

Whoa!!!  Back up. I did all this except "set up HRD for ..." stopped me on PSK31. I receive just fine and HRD says I am transmitting. But my radio is not transmitting - it just sits there!!!

Download Ham Radio Deluxe V5
Plug in the control cable
Install control cable software if applicable
plug cable into IC-718
open HRD V5
setup HRD for the IC-718

done.
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »

The 718 cat commands donot support PTT.  You need a seperate PTT line from your computer to the 718.  For my 718  I use the second rs232 port for the PTT control.  You access the PTT via the 13 pin acc socket.  The pinout is in the 718 manual.  More information about this is on the HRD site.  Some folks have made a homebrew interface that combines the audio I/O and the PTT.  But no PTT via the CIV port.

Levert
KA9CCH
VU3DES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 04:20:28 AM »

Sorry to revive an old topic.  I am stuck at a similar situation.  Instead of the commercial CI-V CAT cable I'm planning to use this solution: http://www.gdickinson.co.uk/?p=358

Also planning to build below interface for digital modes:

Now my question is, Can I connect the PTT "RTS" line to the same USB to Serial dongle's "RTS" pin ?? or I will have to use 2 different USB to Serial dongles for CAT and PTT ??
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:59:52 AM »

As I look at your schematic for the digital interface circuit, I see an error. There should be a connection from the commons of the transformers that are tied together made to the ground pins on the transceiver connection. The author's PC board corrects this oversight.

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:05:59 AM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
VU3DES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:43:31 AM »

As I look at your schematic for the digital interface circuit, I see an error. There should be a connection from the commons of the transformers that are tied together made to the ground pins on the transceiver connection. The author's PC board corrects this oversight.

- Glenn W9IQ

Thanks Glenn.  i amplanning to make a PCB anyways so this wont be an issue.  Coming back to my initial question.  Will 1 USB to Serial dongle take care of both the CI-V cat as well as PTT, by combining both the circuits here:

http://www.gdickinson.co.uk/?p=358

and here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jtrEfKlN3Es/VjOtfPT9rTI/AAAAAAAACjE/2H9200YqgYM/s1600/Digital%2BInterface%2Bkyz1.JPG

Or will I need 2 separate Dongles for this Huh
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 06:08:28 AM »

The article you reference for the transceiver communications uses a USB to TTL dongle for driving an Icom CI-V port. The circuit you show for PTT control has been designed for RS-232 level signals so some changes are needed

The dongle includes a built in 100 ohm resistor in series with its RTS and TXD lines. If you use the RTS line for PTT control, this must be taken into account. The dongle's nominal source and sink current for all signal lines in only 6 mA - this may provide marginal current transfer ratio in the opto-isolator resulting in unreliable PTT switching. It may work but you certainly will need to reduce the R5 current limiting resistor to about 330 ohms and use low current LEDs for the transmit and receive indicators. If you are driving it from the RTS line, then 220 ohms may work better.

Unlike a typical RS-232 connection, the TTL dongle does provide a 5 Volt, 50 mA source on pin 3 that is available to power external devices. If I were designing a PTT circuit based on this dongle, I would take advantage of this by adding a driver transistor to ensure solid forward biasing of the LEDs.

- Glenn W9IQ

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:16:04 PM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »

- Glenn W9IQ

Thanks Glenn.  i amplanning to make a PCB anyways so this wont be an issue.  Coming back to my initial question.  Will 1 USB to Serial dongle take care of both the CI-V cat as well as PTT, by combining both the circuits here:

http://www.gdickinson.co.uk/?p=358

and here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jtrEfKlN3Es/VjOtfPT9rTI/AAAAAAAACjE/2H9200YqgYM/s1600/Digital%2BInterface%2Bkyz1.JPG

Or will I need 2 separate Dongles for this Huh

I don't know if this will help or is even applicable. I have an IC-718. I use a USB Signalink for digital modes and a FTDI based  CI-V USB cable. The Signalink provides PTT. I assume (I know, bad) you are using Windows. I use Opensuse Linux. fldigi works under both.

Rick KK4GGL
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »

To directly answer your question to me of

Will 1 USB to Serial dongle take care of both the CI-V cat as well as PTT, by combining both the circuits here

After performing the modifications noted in my earlier posts on this thread, you can use a single dongle for CI-V control and PTT if these two functions are controlled from HRD. You will need to set the transmit control, under COM Port TX, to be RTS or DTR. The correct choice depends upon where you set the jumper in the PTT/audio interface control board that you are building.

- Glenn W9IQ
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:02:38 AM by W9IQ » Logged

- Glenn W9IQ

VU3DES

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »

sounds good !

Thanks Glenn and Rick.  I am on windows and plan to use FLdigi.  Ordered a USB to serial and hunting for Isolation transformers (not easily available in my country unless you have a ADSL splitter).

I will report back once I have something.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »

Let us know how things turn out.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: