Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which would you buy? RS HTX-100 or Uniden 2510?  (Read 8412 times)
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:50:14 AM »

The HTX-100 comes with the radio and mic, tested, for $100.

The Uniden President 2510 comes with a 2.5A (is that even enough?) Micronta power supply and SWR meter/matcher.  Don't know price...was a response to a classified I placed here.

I like the HTX-100 because, and everyone will now laugh, I like Radio Shack stuff. Its definitely clean looking, claims to have been tested and taken out of service will functional.

The Uniden comes with more stuff, but 1) I don't know what to offer the guy for money and 2) I've never even heard of this radio.  From what I'm reading it seems like an okay rig.

I'm trying to keep it around $200. I do have someone offering me a TS-120S which looks AWESOME but I don't have the $275 quite yet.  Should I just hold out for that one?  I kinda wanted to get started on 10m until I get my general ticket.

Eventually I want an IC-706, but thats gonna take a while for me to afford.

Anyways....HTX-100 or Uniden President 2510?
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »

If you did your homework you would know that both the 2510 AND the HTX-100 were made by Uniden.  Somewhere along the way Uniden in their infinite wisdom decided to focus mostly on manufacturing cordless telephones and less on amateur radios.  I would probably take the 2510 over the HTX-100 if they were both in mint condition, which is a rarity.  The 2510 and HTX-100 debuted around 1988 if I am correct.  The 2510 also has FM capability, where the HTX-100 does not.  I would also recommend a little more than a 2.5 Amp power supply for either radio unless you are planning to keep power output to about 5 Watts or less.
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:27 AM »

I thought the HTX-10 was Uniden.  Anyways...

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll look more closely at the Uniden one.  

I do have a black and decker 120AC->13.8VDC 20A power supply at home. Its not the fanciest thing in the world, but I assume its better than the 3.5A one.

Its either that or I'll be getting a deep cycle battery and cheap little recharger and work things that way. I wanted a battery anyways for comm during extended power outages, anyways.

Thanks!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »

I do have someone offering me a TS-120S which looks AWESOME but I don't have the $275 quite yet.  Should I just hold out for that one?

Hell Yes.

Assuming the TS-120S is in fair shape or better it's way more useful if only because it does more than one band. Ten has been mostly dead for the past five years and is capable of remaining dead for another five.

Never change a password on a Friday                
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »

All else being equal, definitely go for the HR-2510. It has AM and LSB (for what it's worth on 10m), the HTX-100 does not. It also has FM, but no split unless it has the chipswitch installed, so you're limited to FM simplex. That can be fun on 10m though. If you're lucky you'll find a parts rig somewhere that has the chipswitch in it, and change it out.
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »

I do have someone offering me a TS-120S which looks AWESOME but I don't have the $275 quite yet.  Should I just hold out for that one?

Oops, I missed this part. Yes, if you can, get that one instead.

...and by the way, 10m has been open a lot lately.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »

The 2510 has a seporate clarifier one for rx and another for transmit an rit circuit if you will. I think the rx-tx seporated roughly 25khz. The HTX 100 does not split but utilizes a 20 khz clarifier. A friend of mine used his 2510 for mobile work and had trouble getting "on Frequency" because of the crude design hence re-aligning the two after splitting was problematic for him, although the lack of precision of their design worsened it for him, his tin ear I guess. The RIT could be useful when the dx is operating split on 10M perhaps. I think the 2510 would transmit on 12 meter too so you get(tx-rx) more ham bands and the cb band. Note Radio shack marked the HTX 100 down to $45 dollars in their clearance sale. I installed their dynamic mic to the HTX-100 and the audio was reported very clear. Warning some htx-100 rigs toward the end of production came with a mushy audio condition when using their ceramic mic with the up/dwn feature inboard to the mic body. I think the issue was that the voltage to supply the ceramic cartrige was too high. another issue The rig needs more than 3.5 amps. for tx. The htx 100 has ssb and crude fm meaning some internal adjustment is usually needed for proper fm reception. My htx-100 worked ok out of the box. Users beware yours could need some adjusting.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:16 AM »

They are the same radio.  My very first rig is a HTX-100 and it still works fine.
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:38 AM »

They are NOT the same radio.  They are variants from the same base design.

Personally, I like the RS version better, but $100 seems kind of high.
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:55:20 AM »

The 2510 has a seporate clarifier one for rx and another for transmit an rit circuit if you will. I think the rx-tx seporated roughly 25khz. The HTX 100 does not split but utilizes a 20 khz clarifier. A friend of mine used his 2510 for mobile work and had trouble getting "on Frequency" because of the crude design hence re-aligning the two after splitting was problematic for him, although the lack of precision of their design worsened it for him, his tin ear I guess. The RIT could be useful when the dx is operating split on 10M perhaps. I think the 2510 would transmit on 12 meter too so you get(tx-rx) more ham bands and the cb band.

Your information on the 2510 is incorrect. There is only one clarifier (RIT = receive increment tuning). It is a clarifier only. It has nothing to do with your transmit frequency unless the radio has been modified to "unlock" the RIT, which in my opinion is a dumb and unnecessary thing to do. It also only "swings" about 2.5khz each direction, unless of course it has been modified again. There is no XIT on this rig. The radio also does not cover 12m or 11m without additional modifications. It was sold as a 10m radio, not a "CB Export" radio.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »

Assuming the Tango Sugar 120 Sugar is operational hold out for it...Nice radio... Get the upgrade to General.
You will not regret either.....
Greg
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »

The HTX-10 that Radio Shack sold several years ago was not manufactured by Uniden.  The HTX-100 that Radio Shack sold back in the late 80's and early 90's WAS manufactured by Uniden, as is still the case with many of the telephones that Radio Shack sells.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »

Back around 1999-2000 I lived in an apartment and used an HTX-100 connected to a 10 meter dipole up in the attic.  I powered the rig using a Delco car battery.  I would use the battery until the Voltage started to get low, and then I would charge it back up with a trickle charger.  This setup will work, just not as convenient as a power supply.  I worked plenty of DX with this station back when 10 was open during the last cycle.  ten meters hasn't been that open as of late, but I have to believe it is open more than people think it is, just no one using the band.  I personally monitor 29.600 on my scanner looking for openings on 10.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

I am going to make some assumptions first you are young.  By coming here you want to hear our real opinions.  I own an original Icom 706 since the early mid nineties. I enjoy it greatly but don't believe it to be nearly the best rig on the used market.  I will say the 706 with its all mode 2-160 meter range is worth more that the 5 times value you can buy one of the 10 meter rigs you mentioned.  

Check out the used market for the Ic-706 and other similar rigs and then consider ways to raise the extra cash needed.  May I recommend mowing old peoples' yards for $25-$35 per yard.  Thats about 10-15 yards plus the money you already have then you could skip the 10 only rig.  

Why the push for the more expensive rig well I hope you will upgrade to general and for now expand the use of your tech privileges on 15,40 and 80 meters with cw.  If you stick with a rig that can only do 10 meters you may loose interest in hf. I have to believe you wanted our unvarnished opinions.  Had you not included your desire to own an Icom 706 I would have moved on without comment.  It is my sincere hope you will seriously consider my counsel.  73, Mike ke4ilg
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »

Matthew
I guess you have your call sign by now. What is it?
Glen WT0A
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: