Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day Software Survey  (Read 1066 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2006, 12:33:19 PM »

For those who participated in Field Day 2006 with multiple stations (Class 2 and higher), and who used computers for logging, CW sending, digital modes, etc., I have the following questions. Many thanks.

What was your entry class? (e.g., 2B, 3E, 4F, 6A, etc.)

What software package did you use?

Does the software work in a network environment and pass info among the different stations?

If yes, did you use a wireless or wired LAN?

Does the software track QSO count by operator? (Especially important for GOTA bonus points.)

Does it generate a list of stations worked, sorted alphabetically by band?

Did it work the entire FD period without hanging or crashing?

Will you use the same software next year, or try a different package?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »

For those who participated in Field Day 2006 with multiple stations (Class 2 and higher), and who used computers for logging, CW sending, digital modes, etc., I have the following questions. Many thanks.

--------------------------------
4A + GOTA + VHF/UHF station
--------------------------------

---------------------------------
N3FJP Field Day Log for all but two of the HF stations + NA for those two stations.
------------------------------------

Does the software work in a network environment and pass info among the different stations?
-----------------------------------------
Did not network.  Each station was restricted to its own bands and modes so no need to share a database.
--------------------------------------------------

If yes, did you use a wireless or wired LAN? NA

Does the software track QSO count by operator? (Especially important for GOTA bonus points.)
-----------------------------------------------
N3FJP does.  But do not know about NA.  Used N3FJP on the GOTA.

------------------------------
YES, both packages
------------------------------

YES, both packages

-------------------------------------
Probably stay with the same setup.

We maintained separate logs on each individual machine and merged the logs afterward.

Our hard core CW ops used NA, a DOS program, as all Windows programs occassionally "stutter" when sending CW unless you used an outboard device like Winkey.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »

hi

our club station w4dw 7a + GOTA

we used n3fjp for our digital station,
our other stations used CT

no problems at all, no networking.

we may try to use networking nextyear,
hard to get some of our guys to move away
from ct.  if it ain't broke, etc...

73 james
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »

2F

N3FJP

Yes - However we worked stand-alone

N/A

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Dennis KG4RUL
Berkeley County SC ARES, Information Officer
FD Call: W4BRK
WZ4I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:11:03 PM »

Field Day Software Survey       Reply
by K3AN on August 4, 2006    Mail this to a friend!

2A

N3FJP

Yes

Wireless

Yes

Yes

Yes

Same
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:38:01 PM »

What was your entry class? 11F

What software package did you use?  CT for Win 10

Does the software work in a network environment and pass info among the different stations?  CT--Yes

If yes, did you use a wireless or wired LAN? No

Does the software track QSO count by operator? CT--Yes

Does it generate a list of stations worked, sorted alphabetically by band? Yes

Did it work the entire FD period without hanging or crashing? Yes

Will you use the same software next year, or try a different package? It ain't broke, we won't fix it.
W4SK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »

1B battery.
N3FJP.

-W4SK
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:38:04 AM »

Operated 2A battery

N3FJP software will do what you want.  The best feature is that the exchange data from other bands or modes is available when you type in the call on a band that you have not worked that station on.  Then completing the exchange is easier.  We merged logs from the other station every operator rest break.  You could also use a network, but it means more complication.  For more than two stations a wireless network would be worth it because the data from the other stations would really reduce the number of repeats on the QSO exchange.

Notice most of the other stations replying are using N3FJP.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 04:32:42 AM »

The nice thing about N3FJP is that there is virtually no learning curve.  For SSB, you just sit down and operate.  For CW, it's almost that easy, just hang a brief note telling the op how to bring up the list of preprogrammed function keys (of course someone familiar with the software should set up the messages ahead of time and maintain consistency from machine to machine).  This is nice when you have people that are not familiar with contesting or contesting software.  Even for those who commonly use contesting software but not this package, it's nice for the same reason.  
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »

Didn't get to operate FD this year.  In the past,ran with either 2A or 8A clubs and often used WR9R's program.  But there doesn't seem to be a recent update or upgrade in the past few years, to reflect FD rule changes and degrades.  It may be  many copies were considered  freeware and not shareware, and the minimal contribution requested as shareware was never received by the author.  A pity.  It's still preferred by many, but would require quite a bit of paper manipulation to use now, if there's been no further update.  Never even tried it for networking, it was always used for stand-alone operating positions and the compilation and file merges were done post-FD.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 06:42:01 AM »

I saw this thread late, but thought I'd chime in for the count.

I used WR9R this year.  We were 1B 2 op, so not much to worry about in terms of exhanging data with other stations.  The primary reason we chose WR9R is it can run on a DOS only laptop.  My pentium laptop running linux or windoze  draws 30 watts.  Over the course of the contest, this amounts to 20 times or so more power than the QRP rig draws.  I've got a 486 laptop with a monochrome screen that only draws 600mA at 12V, which is only 7 watts. It continues to operate below 10V, where a gel cell is considered dead.  Big advantage when you're solar/battery- no inverters necessary, just a direct connect.  I achieved that power reduction in part by taking out the internal hard drive and using a compact flash card in the PCMCIA slot.  No moving parts. In years past I've also used my Palm III and NK0E's GoLog software, with the CW keying interface.  This is a truly QRP setup, as the AAA's in the Palm Pilot and 9V in the interface will last the entire FD.  But using grafitti to enter calls and reports and the tiny screen isn't a lot of fun for operating that long, so a full size keyboard and screen is a big plus.  So while the N3FJP, et al, software is nice and easy to operate, you need a computer that draws half as much Ah as a 100W rig!  What I would like to see is a new and improved version of WR9R, whether it be DOS, Linux, or whatever.  One that doesn't have the contest particulars 'hard coded', rather can be modified via ini or config file, or setup screen.  And, one with better CW timing (WR9R's is hosed, and non adjustable).  Don't need no mouse, networking or pretty screen colors.  No need for the overhead of windoze or linux X.  This is one time a bigger/faster/better machine isn't what you want.  Need to stock up on 486 laptops just for FD!

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: