Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter base/mobile  (Read 448 times)
KE5EYI

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

What would be a good starter 6 meter all mode base, or mobile I could use on base, that might be found at a reasonable price?
I am retiring and hope to become more active, possibly go for General or Advanced someday.
Right now only a Tech. so limited to 6M and up.
Thanks
HL
KE5EYI
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »

used ic706, mkII or mkIIg; ft 857.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

A pretty good choice might be the Kenwood TS-2000.

It covers HF, too; but its VHF-UHF coverage is great (6m, 2m, 70cm built-in and standard; with a model that also covers 23cm if you wish) and it has many excellent standard features that are useful.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

Steve
I agree the ts 2000 is a good rig but not too handy for mobile. Besides it is a butt-ugly radio
Glen
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »

I read your question several times and I swear I am not trying to be a smart mouth.  Your privileges as a tech do not start at six meters.  You have phone and some digital privileges on ten meters and cw(no digital)on 15, 40 and 80 meters.  

The way you stated your question it sounded like you may have been licensed originally when I was.  When I was first licensed as a tech we had no hf privileges.  Also the Advanced license is no longer issued but may still be renewed.  Please come back to the hobby.  Also a lot of the newer hams are getting into cw voluntarily, since it is no longer required for any license class. 73, Mike ke4ilg
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »

>RE: 6 meter base/mobile       Reply
by WT0A on April 1, 2010    Mail this to a friend!
Steve
I agree the ts 2000 is a good rig but not too handy for mobile. Besides it is a butt-ugly radio
Glen<

It's a good all-around "compromise" rig in many ways but has some slick features for VHF-UHF work that most rigs don't have.  I can get over the looks, as I had an ugly dog once and he was great.

It's not that big...fits for "mobile" work in my van just fine, although might be a squeeze in a compact car.

It's also been well discounted recently and is kind of a "best buy" at this point, for what it does.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »

Houston,

Regarding: "Your privileges as a tech do not start at six meters. " 

My band chart shows the 6 meter band is authorized territory for E, A, G, and "T" (the Technician Class license).  It is the Novice Class license that has no 6 meter privileges.

The Icom IC-706MIIG is a very popular mobile rig, and also usable at home with a regulated power supply capable of providing 20 Amps at 13.8VDC.  They are now out of production, I hear, and many of them are appearing in the ham classified ads at reasonable prices.

Gary, K9ZMD/6

KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »

To clarify my previous post about what privileges I had as a tech.  I was first licensed about 1993 as a tech.  I had no hf privileges till I passed the required 5 wpm and was granted a tech plus license.  The originator of this topic by the way he worded his question and statements made me believe he was licensed about the same time frame as I.  Since then many changes had occurred and I hoped to interest him in doing some further investigation.  I did not, nor did I intend to make a complete statement of the of  the current state of the license structure. I'm sorry if I was confusing in my response.  r/s Mike ke4ilg
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »

>>Right now only a Tech. so limited to 6M and up. <<

Right now read up on the rules.  You also have 10M phone,CW and digital plus CW and some digital modes
on several lower bands.

That more than enough to make getting a decent all mode all band radio.  Several have made suggestions already.
Also there are a few HF+6 radios that would be real nice
and available used.  The latter being nice if you want a mobile and one for at home.

Allison
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »

I agree with the previous posts, In the end, It will be better to simply get a radio that does all bands. (PLUS that will give you some more incentive to upgrade to general!)

I also agree with WIK, The Kenwood TS2000 IS about the best bang for the buck "do it all" radio on the market today.

While a TS2000 might be a little large for mobil operation, I really do not care much for the much smaller radios like the Icom 706 series. While they do work well, And there are LOTS of them out there, I don't care much for the mostly menu driven way they work. Got rid of the one I had.......
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »

so you have a  good tech plus ticket, go to any VE session and get a grand fathered up grade to general. and then get a  ft 857 new about 700 bucks and all mode all band  for home or car..

I was a "2 meter tech" from my oriinal; license as a tech in 1978 and finally up gradded to general ( paper work only, show proof  I was a tech when 5 wpm was necessary and had my current ticket and a photo id.  instant general, I passed my extra a week later.  I never got more than about 10 wpm on the code.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

also I have a ranger  6 meter  for my monitoring radio on an M2 loop, , cooks 24-7 listening, and  I use the ts 2000 for ssb work on uhf/vhf/6 m  and I have a 6 meter transverter running into the orion and up to the steppir for contesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: