Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook for PSK31?  (Read 5358 times)
N3DF

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »

Can an inexpensive netbook be used on PSK31 with Digipan?

Neil N3DF
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »

Perhaps you could tell those who may be able advise you which make and model of a netbook you are considering using. Like shoes, they're all different, but look similar !

G0GQK
NQ0M

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »

I use my wife's Acer Aspire One for PSK31 all the time.  If you can live with the small screen, it works quite well.

Jeremy, KE0MD (x-N0YAX)
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »

Any computer with a soundcard can be used for PSK31.  There's software for Linux and Windows and Mac.  And the decoding algorithm only needs about 100 MHz of CPU speed.

Charles

PS -- for the Linux boxes, you may have to fiddle.  That seems to be the nature of the beast.
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »

Jeremy,

What software and interface do you use with the Acer?  Thanks.

Neil N3DF
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:48:08 PM »

I am just getting started with the digital modes and my set up consists of the following ACER Aspire One Netbook PC, Icom 703+ and a Signalink USB digital interface.  As one stated, if you can get over the smaller screen it works just fine.  Thus far I've had no issues using this set up and MixW and Digipan software.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:40 AM »

The answer as others have stated is yes.  I personally use one of the original Acer Aspire Ones (running Linux) that I have upgraded from the original Linpus Linux to Ubuntu Netbook Remix and it works very well for me.

Digipan should work fine on a Window's netbook (I used to run it on an old Celeron-based desktop running WIN98) and if you are interested in operating other Digital Modes I recommend Fldigi which works very well on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.  (FL = Fast Light).

My personal favourite interface is the SignalLink USB for a few reasons :

1) It contains its own USB soundcard so it doesn't matter whether the one in your computer is any good.

2) All of the audio level controls are located on the front of the interface so no need to mess with slider controls in the software once things are set up .. everything can be controlled from easy to reach front panel controls.

3) It is powered off of the USB interface so no need to mess with additional power cord which is great especially if you are operating portable (one less thing to forget at home).

4) It works very well and it will work with machines running Windows, Linux or Mac OS.

Michael VE3WMB
NQ0M

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

For the software, I'm currently using Digipan - also have used Digital master from the HRD suite, and FLDigi with good results.  My interface is just a simple patch cable made by Associated Radio for my IC-730's accessory socket.  Only problem I have is that the PTT function does not work properly (could be something in the interface, or something in the USB-Serial converter I'm using) but VOX on the 730 works great instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: